• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Difference in Cimarron Colt Walker vs "regular" Uberti Walker?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Proofmarks are actually on the right side of frame under the cylinder but splitting hairs.
My 3 babies, dam I love them.
View attachment 307510
Very nice!

I think I will be ordering a Walker made by Cimarron soon, a good ~$100 less than regular Uberti versions and I most likely will have it Goonerized some day anyways.

I also have been eyeing the 1862 Police Pocket model with the 4.5" barrels, but no where seems to have them in stock right now.

So I will give you some information that I do have,

When a company like cimmeron has a company like uberti make a product for them they tell uberti how much they're willing to pay and uberti presents them with some and says this is what we can give you for that price,

The less the company like cimarron offers,
The lesser the quality product that uberti throws together for them.

Uberti has very high quality fitting and finishing on their product, but when they make some for another company that doesn't pay too much, the finish isn't that good like the blueing isn't that great , the quality of some of the parts is not too good and the fitting generally is snot very good.

They don't pay the gunsmiths as much money to spend as much time working on them when they are put together.

That is not to say that cimarron does not have good quality stuff made for them by uberti, I own a number of cimarrons and they're very nice.

But no, the items that uberti makes for other companies generally do not have the same quality as the ones they put their own name on , because of the price.

But of course there's people who will say they just look a little bit different
Cimmaron does not sell 'thrown together' products. They specify a higher level of fit and finish and their product reflects that.

Do ALL of your percussion guns say "Made in Italy" right after Texas? or only some?

It seems what I've heard and seen they don't mention Italy, besides from your post, so I just want to be sure if it's different gun models or maybe different years/times they've changed the stamp, etc.

I'd appreciate any info

I found a picture of @Spaxspore post his Lonesome Dove Walker in another thread where it only has the marking like Colt's original "Address Cimarron Fredericksburg Texas" and nothing mentioned about Italy, so I just want to be 100% sure. I asked Cimarron as a followup if any mention Italy or not, waiting on that reply.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/lonesome-dove-walker.175153/

View attachment 307504

Here are pics of my two percussion Cimarron revolvers. Only the cartridge guns have "Italy" on the barrel signature.

Attachments

• Cimarron 1851 Navy.JPG
    Cimarron 1851 Navy.JPG
    242.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Cimarron Dragoon.JPG
    Cimarron Dragoon.JPG
    346.5 KB · Views: 0
Just a note on tuning. I paid an extra $150 to get a tuned Cimarron Colt Peacemaker-Evil Roy model. Wonderful smooth action but in short order the cylinder would not advance fully due a weakened coil hand spring and started getting 15-30% light strikes due to a very light mainspring. Replaced both of the those. Action is a little stiffer but always goes bang now. And I love that gun. By getting that model I avoided the transfer bar system and have the original Colt 4 click hammer. Sorry for bringing in an unmentionable. Point being, even those that are experts can tune a gun to the point of being unreliable.
If any gun mechanic isn't making mistakes now and then they're either a liar or aren't actually doing any work but a mechanic of charter will do all that is humanly possible to make/fix it right at his own time and expense !

Do ALL of your percussion guns say "Made in Italy" right after Texas? or only some?

It seems what I've heard and seen they don't mention Italy, besides from your post, so I just want to be sure if it's different gun models or maybe different years/times they've changed the stamp, etc.

I'd appreciate any info

I found a picture of @Spaxspore post his Lonesome Dove Walker in another thread where it only has the marking like Colt's original "Address Cimarron Fredericksburg Texas" and nothing mentioned about Italy, so I just want to be 100% sure. I asked Cimarron as a followup if any mention Italy or not, waiting on that reply.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/lonesome-dove-walker.175153/

View attachment 307504
I'd bet a Dr. Pepper there is a small Uberti stamp some where on the guns !

ed, curious what you have against transfer bars? I really like them. I had an AD in the holster fast drawing an 1858 when i was a kid. thumb slipped off the hammer before it locked up. caught my pants on fire but I got super lucky and did not get hurt other than scared. Transfer bar would have cured that problem.

If any gun mechanic isn't making mistakes now and then they're either a liar or aren't actually doing any work but a mechanic of charter will do all that is humanly possible to make/fix it right at his own time and expense !
I'm not faulting gunsmiths. I know there is a fine line between setting up a gun to be smooth with light and short triggers and maintaining reliability. My personal #1 priority with any gun I own is it must shoot with every trigger pull. Now, of course, with BP certain things are beyond the mechanical capabilities of the gun such as cap failures. Then we can go for a good trigger. Revolvers-around 3# is fine with me. Muskets with double set triggers-just a touch works.

ed, curious what you have against transfer bars? I really like them. I had an AD in the holster fast drawing an 1858 when i was a kid. thumb slipped off the hammer before it locked up. caught my pants on fire but I got super lucky and did not get hurt other than scared. Transfer bar would have cured that problem.
I have nothing against them. I own revolvers with them. In the case of the 1873 Colt I wanted a gun as close as possible to the original and for no real good reason I wanted the 4 click hammer to spell out C-O-L-T. The guns with transfer bars have only 3 clicks. No big deal to most but sometimes we want what we want.

I've never noticed any of Cimarrons Uberti's being any different than the ones marketed by Uberti except for the Cimarron stamped address. In fact believe they are better . On another forum a member who worked at Cimarron advised otherwise once stating Cimarron wants the best quality as possible for what they sell, checking firearms before they are shipped to customers. Not sure where 'sethwyo' came up with his facts, I see he has deleted both comments. I did purchase an OpenTop from Cimarron around 17 years ago that had a less than adequate rear sight and frame issue. Cimarron replaced gun with no problem. Cimarron employee apologized advising one slips through their quality checks once in a while. In talking with one of the owners of Taylors some years back, she advised everything at their facility gets a quality control check for finish, fit and function before being shipped by in-house gunsmith. Anything less than good or with problems gets sent back. To me that is light years ahead of big box stores getting Uberti's, Piettas, whatever from their US distributor/importer and sending them out to customers right off of the shelf without ever even checking what is in the box and its condition. Case in point was a thread posted here not long ago by disappointed buyer from MidwayUSA. IMO it would not be good business and bad for reputation for Cimarron to have any revolvers manufactured by Uberi or whoever and request substandard dimensions, parts, and quality. Call Mike Harvey at Cimarron and ask him.

Well as AZ said.
My 1851 .36 Navy bought last April. …
1. On top of barrel it says “Cimarron, Frederick Texas” in the same manner as the Original Colts.
2. Unlike every other Uberti i hear about on here, it does not have a short arbor.
3. It was no more expensive than any other Uberti i see advertised.
4. I have shot ~ 1500 balls thru it since last year with zero issues.
YMMV.

OK, but does it talk to you the way a loving gurn should ?

I had a Ruger Black Hawk with the transfer bar. It did not transfer unless you forcefully kept pulling the trigger. Probably a mis-build, I was young and dumb and did not think about it (only gun I knew at the time that did it that way) probably would have been fixed under warranty.

I just sold it and got an S&W. It soured me on the transfer bar Rugers and I would not have bought the ROA if it had a transfer bar.

I bought a new unfired Uberti Walker and am having problems with it. I checked Uberti's website regarding their warranty. It specifically says that their products are covered by a 5 year warranty ONLY on guns imported by Stoeger. Unless you have documentation in this regard, I guess you are screwed. If you are not the original purchaser you are screwed too, even though the product is new/unused. I guess it's best to buy them from dealers that are supplied by Taylor's or Cimmarron.

Back