• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cimarron 1860 "McCulloch Colt" or antiquing a 1860 Army Uberti

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
BOUGHT ONE! Cimarron 1860 "McCulloch Colt" at a discount. No need to continue this post

I really like the Cimarron McCulloch Colt with factory antiquing, but Cimarron wants $694.

However Uberti wants the same pistol 1860 Army for $429!

$265 difference (Ouch!) and Uberti is talking about bringing an "all steel"?

A friend just paid me a wad of cash that he has owed me a long time and am tempted to use this "found money" and buy the Cimarron. Wife wants to buy the Cimarron.

I really like the Cimarron with the antique finish. I could get an Uberti, but don't know how hard it is to make it into one with antique finish?

Advice.

Last edited:

I really like the Cimarron McCulloch Colt with factory antiquing, but Cimarron wants $694.

However Uberti wants the same pistol 1860 Army for $429!
Advice.
Cimmaron is an importer, Uberti a manufacturer. Cimarron gets all their revolvers from Uberti.
So Uberti is doing a special run for Cimarron?

Cimmaron is an importer, Uberti a manufacturer. Cimarron gets all their revolvers from Uberti.
So Uberti is doing a special run for Cimarron?
Cimmaron does / has custom finishes. Pre COVID you had alot more options than you do now.

This is one i did let go, when you could order with antique finish straight from Cimarron (1851 Navy).

1706115488073.png

Ill save the rest for another eye candy thread.

Last edited:
Should I get these "arms" for the Cimarron? I can reach out to Dixie Gun Works. What exactly should I ask?
I used to work with my friend, however he retired. So, I followed up with him. He said "There has been no issue since the initial part was replaced". Probably nothing to worry about, however he was certainly concerned at the time. I was just trying to save you some shipping cost by getting a spare at the same time.

Good luck with your purchase!

Whether you get the Cimarron "original finish" or the Uberti "old west" finish, it's the same thing. You can easily strip the gun. That's the easy part but it's a lot of work to replicate their aged finish.

Here's one with the factory antique finish for $489.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/1027717929
I would have jumped on that if I had not already got the Cimarron for $538. And the Cimarron McCulloch Colt has the fluted cylinder. I like that better anyhow.

The early 1860s had fluted cylinders to save weight (?) and some of them blew up so they went back to the unfluted cylinders. So the "originals" do not have fluted.

I can understand that. I got the fluted version a few months ago to have converted to cartridge but saved the fluted cylinder for future use.

Tell me about the cartridge version. Will the cartridge cylinder fit my pistol?

It's chambered for 45acp and has a coil sprung action. The cylinder is a Kirst gated conversion. Pretty extensive "arbor out", ground up rebuild. Complete action tune with action stop, bolt block, interference pins (to keep action screws from loosening), adjustable in frame trigger stop, corrected arbor length for a .0025" endshake, captured wedge, hardened "firing plate" in hammer face, custom 2 fingered hand, and other custom features.

His is capable of firing +p loads.

Mike

It's chambered for 45acp and has a coil sprung action. The cylinder is a Kirst gated conversion. Pretty extensive "arbor out", ground up rebuild. Complete action tune with action stop, bolt block, interference pins (to keep action screws from loosening), adjustable in frame trigger stop, corrected arbor length for a .0025" endshake, captured wedge, hardened "firing plate" in hammer face, custom 2 fingered hand, and other custom features.

His is capable of firing +p loads.

Mike
Sounds a little bit more complicated than just a "drop in."

Sounds a little bit more complicated than just a "drop in."

Oh, it can be as complicated as you want to get . . . just as any custom. Some folks are happy with a bone stock Blackhawk, some send them to high end smiths for a 5 shot high end build.
I was just telling you about his cartridge conversion. Yours could very well be a drop in but I wouldn't shoot anything other than "standard" ammo.
"Kirst Konversions" has several possibilities for you. Walt's products are top notch!!!

Mike

I can understand that. I got the fluted version a few months ago to have converted to cartridge but saved the fluted cylinder for future use.

Sorry sir, didn't mean to steal your thunder ( couldn't help myself!! 😎)

Cimarron Colt McCullough 1860 SAA has arrived. Looks good with the antique finish, but the grips are beat up. Is that a part of the "antiquing?" Or damaged?

Attachments

• IMG_1491.JPG
    IMG_1491.JPG
    534.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1488.JPG
    IMG_1488.JPG
    547.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1489.JPG
    IMG_1489.JPG
    501.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Normal they did the same with mine.