• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DGW 28 gauge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found one, probably paid a little too much, but I feel like that all the time anymore! I did sand down the little clam shell patch box and paint it black. Originally just pot metal and shellacked? This one is marked 13.4.

Can't wait to get it out and patterned!!

IMG_20230709_163415696.jpg

Tim_IA, I have a DGW 28 gauge also. Although marked 28 gauge on the barrel, I have talked to other members and theirs have run from 13.2mm to 13.9mm. Mine is marked 13.4mm and mic’d at .526. Or 32 gauge. So I would mic your bore if you are planning on buying wads and OP cards. I made the mistake of buying 28 ga supplies before putting a mic to the bore, lol. My stock was a crappy dark orange. So I sanded it and it had a deep dark wood underneath similar to your stock. The original wire ramrods are terrible but I made a wooden field ramrod for mine. It goes in the ramrod channel deep enough to snugly secure it but most of it hangs out to about an inch below the muzzle. I over paid for mine about 20 years ago but I wanted it as the DGW marked guns are hard to find. My buying price was $200. I shoot standard 28 gauge loads of 55 grains of whatever I have and 3/4 ounce of shot. Out to 20 yds it is good. It is my favorite woods gun because they are only about 3 1/2lbs and a very easy carry for an old man. And they are just plain fun to shoot. I have even shot .495 PRB with the same 55 grains but the “rabbit ear” rear sights leave a lot to chance. Good luck and have a lot of fun with it.

Haha. That is just like the first Muzzleloader I bought back in 1968! I paid $19.95 from an ad in the back of a Field and Stream magazine. I was 15 at the time but I can remember checking the box,"yes" I am 21, please send me this gun.
i still have it but since I had no idea how to clean it properly, I don't trust the breech any more.. My little brother bought the full stock 410 that cost $5 dollars more. He could save his money better than me.
KIMG0347.JPG

Last edited:
Haha. That is just like the first Muzzleloader I o bought back in 1968! I paid $19.95 from an ad in the back of a Field and Stream magazine. I was 15 at the time but I can remember checking the box,"yes" I am 21, please send me this gun.
i still have it but since I had no idea how to clean it properly, I don't trust the breech any more.. My little brother bought the full stock 410 that cost $5 dollars more. He could save his money better than me.
View attachment 234976
It was hell on rabbits and ground squirels too!

Back in 1968 or 69 I bought a 32 gauge breach loading barreled action from DWG for about $20.00 or less. It was in the white and rough. I had dreams of turning it into a fine SXS breach loader. Big dreams but little talent -- I put it aside and to this day I don't know what happened to it:dunno:.

The ramrod hole is drilled all the way to the butt plate. Hence the ramrod slides down past the lock area, looking like it’s too short.

Latest posts

Back