• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Stock Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy folks. Got a dumb question about CVA Bobcat stocks. I've got one my wife gave me way back in the 90's for Christmas. Got my first BP deer with it. I am going to upgrade it shortly to a CVA Plainsman wood stock. All the parts swap right over so, after a wood refinish, fake striping job, and a handmade metal butt plate to replace the plastic one, she will be complete. The barrel still looks new so I am leaving it alone for now.

Now for the question. I picked up the Plainsman rifle at a local pawn shop a few years ago for $80.00 out the door. Sold the scope that came on it for $85.00 on ebay. The bore was pretty rough on the upper end toward the crown so I cut it down to about 14 inches and cleaned the manure out of it. Back to the Bobcat stock: I know the later Bobcats have a plastic stock with the checkering on the grip. The black stock on mine is heavy, about the same weight as the other wood CVA stocks I have. And it is textured with no checkering. Almost like black trunk paint. Does anyone know if the early Bobcats had a wood stock that was coated with some black finish? Before I start sanding on it to find out I thought I would ask in case any of you folks know the answer. Once my Bobcat upgrade is done I figure that now shorter Plainsman barrel and parts can go into the original Bobcat stock to make a short little blanket rifle type project to play with. But If I know for sure there is wood under the black stuff that might change this to a much cooler project. Thanks for any input.

Plastic. Someone may have filled the buttstock to give it some heft and reduce the plastic sound when you tap it. Take the buttplate off.

But stranger things are out there, so you need to check.

Latest posts

Back