• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer Tallow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank/Pa

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody use deer tallow for a patch lube. How is it for shooting multiple shots before you need to swab the bore?

I have used it for hunting and it does real well. It seems to keep a good consistency in different temperatures. I have used it at the range before and it seemed to foul a little quicker than my normal patch lube (spit). I mostly shoot a GRR .50 caplock with spit patches at the range. I will usually shoot most of the day without swabbing. With the deer tallow it got a bit hard to load after about 5-6 shots.

H.Hale

Its my main lube. I don't shoot too much target, I like to shoot something to eat, game. I have allways cleaned between shots , I can't get away from it. You can't get a cheaper lube, then natural. I like to do like they did back in the black powder days, why I shoot them. Dilly

I use deer tallow for huntin only, its a good lube for that but not the best choice for range work wher you are doin a lot of shootin without cleanin, for that i use spit.

Back