• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.451 P H Volunteer long range shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnB63

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi All , I have a question regarding the use of wads with a paper patched bullet in my PH .451 , im currently using 75Grns of Swiss no3 with a waxed card wad ( from a milk carton) and a 480Grn lubed bullet, have had a good group with this at 100yds. I will be shooting out at 500 and 600 yds in a week or two and have just cast some .441 500 grn bullets which ive paper patched out to .451 , would you lube the paper or use a lubed wad or just a card wad and swab out after a few shots?
any advice would be gratefully received.
thanks
John

Hi All , I have a question regarding the use of wads with a paper patched bullet in my PH .451 , im currently using 75Grns of Swiss no3 with a waxed card wad ( from a milk carton) and a 480Grn lubed bullet, have had a good group with this at 100yds. I will be shooting out at 500 and 600 yds in a week or two and have just cast some .441 500 grn bullets which ive paper patched out to .451 , would you lube the paper or use a lubed wad or just a card wad and swab out after a few shots?
thanks
John
Card wad. Plain paper patch. You will need to clean after every shot. X

thanks
John
As paulab notes above, plain card wad, and don’t lube the patch. After firing, load powder, and seat wad. You can then wipe the bore with a damp patch, then dry it - a tight fitting wad will protect the powder. After you’ve cleaned the bore, seat the bullet. For consistency, which is what you’re looking for at long range, wipe between each shot. Lubing the paper patch itself risks it sticking to the bullet - you want the patch to fall away as the bullet exits the barrel.

I note that you’re in the UK. Each year the MLAGB holds matches for muzzle loading Enfield and target rifle (like the Volunteer) at 200, 300, 500 & 600 yards and for target rifles also at 900 & 1000 yards. The Volunteer is a capable rifle - I set an MLAGB National Record at 600 yards many years ago, that stayed in place for quite a few years. it’s since been beaten by 1 point. This year, there’s only the 900 and 1000 yard matches left to shoot. NRA(UK) also have events in October’s ’Trafalgar Meeting’ at Bisley.

David

You will have to play with your load to see what the rifle likes.

I have one rifle that I use a card and a lubed wool wad with. This combo shrinks the groups down quite a bit.

Fleener

Latest posts

Back