• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

first C&B

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What lube do you use for your arbor? All I have right now is my homemade beef tallow and bees wax. I use this in my smoothie. would this be sufficient for my arbor?

Bud, your mix will work on the arbor. On Colt open tops it works just fine, I've used it, but I've gotten in the habit of using either white lithium or wheel bearing grease, whichever is handier.

In my 58 Remington, I cut shallow acme threads in the cylinder pin to hold lube and use the lube you're asking about. At each reload I work the pin in and out a few times and it breaks up the fouling. I've shot as many as 6 cylinders full before adding more lube.

All I can say is to try your ideas, that will prove them out one way or another. I'm thinking that's how we've gotten to where we are now.
Good luck,
Pete

I used to use Slick 50 One Grease, but haven't been able to find it in a while. White lithium grease will work well, as will Ewl. You don't really have to worry about not using petroleum greases for this application as the arbor is not subjected to the extreme heat of combustion as the bore and chambers are.

FWIW, since I use canned lard ( Crisco cooking fat ) atop the seated ball to seal the front of the loaded chambers, it eventually runs around enough while firing to lube the cylinder pin. ( as the gun is fired, the lube softens )

I've gone through a full day of shooting w/o re-lubing - and the bonus is that clean-up is EZPZ ( zero hard crud/fouling )

Crisco, or it's off brand equivalent. No need to complicate it. When I go to the range. I literally shoot hundreds of rounds per session thru revolvers. Crisco over the ball has my cylinders turning more freely after dozens of reloads than when the gun was clean. Doesn't matter if it is my Remington or Colt repros. Without lube they are binding after one cylinder. Like Pietro said, cleanup is EZ PZ.

What lube do you use for your arbor? All I have right now is my homemade beef tallow and bees wax. I use this in my smoothie. would this be sufficient for my arbor?
Ditto on the bore butter. Where in PA? I'm in Union County.

Latest posts

Back