• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dedicated to all the hunters with black powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that after this everything has already been said and should not be at polemics more on this topic.
I am the forum administrator most-visited spanish on muzzle-loading firearms and that these polemics are leading nowhere. The one lord who complains is Swampy despite not to leave in the video.
I am starting to think that what really bothers you is that it does not appear in the ... :grin: :grin: :grin:
if that is why can you send me some photos endorsed and gladly i will give you a video for you only. :wink:

I apologize to anyone who can bother .... a greeting to all the forum :hatsoff:

rancher said:
Seems rather simple to me. If you don't want your picture being used for something other than what you intended, don't post it on the internet. Now, that doesn't mean it is right, just the way it is.

I haven't been on here for a while, but when I was, it almost seemed like a family, or brotherhood I guess, lotta guys that never met became pretty close,shared a lot..an understood what others went thru, goin thru, or needed ta hear,, an pretty much were good friends,(imho),so what I think Swampy expected..or woulda liked, was jus to be asked,,not even personally, maybe jus a post sayin they intended on makin a video of ml's, an would anyone mind if they used pics from the forum...not legalities, jus common courtesy..I'm sure we're aware that anything is out there,,but it would hurt to ask..would it? jus my feelins, forum's been a very special place fer me for awhile,made alotta good friends would never take anything for granted. guess that's jus me.. :thumbsup:

romel said:
I think that after this everything has already been said and should not be at polemics more on this topic.
I am the forum administrator most-visited spanish on muzzle-loading firearms and that these polemics are leading nowhere. The one lord who complains is Swampy despite not to leave in the video.
I am starting to think that what really bothers you is that it does not appear in the ... :grin: :grin: :grin:
if that is why can you send me some photos endorsed and gladly i will give you a video for you only. :wink:

I apologize to anyone who can bother .... a greeting to all the forum :hatsoff:

insults added in
are always a nice touch... :shake:

Swampy said:
Common courtesy... your a member of this forum using pictures gathered from some members here posting their pictures. You can't take 5 minutes to post here on the forum about a project your thinking of doing and asking if any forum member has a problem with you using their pictures?

I really don't care what excuse you come up with here. I have made sure to avoid youtube, never using it to upload any of my videos, I want no part of it. Only to find out that someone I don't even know, who I've never had a conversation with, who never asked me if he could use my picture, has gone and done what I never wanted to do....and I'm supposed to be happy about that??

That sums it all up perfectly...its simply a matter of professional courtesy and character.

At least this this poor example of unauthorized use has me looking into the subject of 'Copyright'.

In checking on Photobucket, I didn't see any way to make a "global" change and apply 'Copyright' to every photo I have there...does anyone know a way to do that?

Or do I have to add 'Copyright' to each and every local photo on my PC first, then upload every photo all over again?

roundball said:
Swampy said:
Common courtesy... your a member of this forum using pictures gathered from some members here posting their pictures. You can't take 5 minutes to post here on the forum about a project your thinking of doing and asking if any forum member has a problem with you using their pictures?

I really don't care what excuse you come up with here. I have made sure to avoid youtube, never using it to upload any of my videos, I want no part of it. Only to find out that someone I don't even know, who I've never had a conversation with, who never asked me if he could use my picture, has gone and done what I never wanted to do....and I'm supposed to be happy about that??

That sums it all up perfectly...its simply a matter of professional courtesy and character.

At least this this poor example of unauthorized use has me looking into the subject of 'Copyright'.

In checking on Photobucket, I didn't see any way to make a "global" change and apply 'Copyright' to every photo I have there...does anyone know a way to do that?

Or do I have to add 'Copyright' to each and every local photo on my PC first, then upload every photo all over again?

RB even doin that, according to rules here photos can still be shared,,,not sure how photobucket works it, but mlf photos are held there (pb).... :idunno:

RC said:
RB even doin that, according to rules here photos can still be shared,,,not sure how photobucket works it, but mlf photos are held there (pb).... :idunno:

No..."making them available" is different...neither the MLF nor anybody else can't legally over-ride Copyright.
If a photo is marked Copyright, they can still be 'seen' in public but it becomes against the law for anyone else to then copy and reuse them without permission from the owner of the photo or material.

This whole mess never should have happened...and the attitude is troubling.
Just because something is available on the Internet does not transend the normal expectation that something shouldn't be stolen.
That would be like saying if I lay my wallet on top of my mailbox, "its OK" for someone to drive by and steal it, but of course it's not.

There is no acceptable excuse for this to have happened and hiding behind the notion that "they were available on the Internet" is lame.

roundball said:
You automatically own the copyright to anything you make, whether it's a drawing, photo, writing, music, etc. Posting that material on the Internet does not give up your copyright.

FWIW, there are programs you can use to 'watermark' your images before uploading if you want to go that extra step. I started using it on our club site because people were "borrowing" other people's photos and putting them on their own Facebook page.

20110703_49.JPG

roundball said:
If a photo is marked Copyright, they can still be 'seen' in public but it becomes against the law for anyone else to then copy and reuse them without permission from the owner of the photo or material.
Even if it's not marked with a copyright, you still own the copyright. :thumbsup:

Claude said:
"...I started using it on our club site because people were "borrowing" other people's photos..."

And that's exactly what's happened here.

Sure would be nice if places like Photobucket offered a feature that would let a user implement a global application of a watermark to all photos in existing albums, even for a fee

I have this odd feeling reading through this thread. For the first time ever, I agree with all of the sentiments expressed here.

For many years, copyright law has been very simple and is as Claude stated it. Still, it's probably a good idea to marke them as such for the benefit of those who do not understand copyright laws. It won't make any difference to those who don;t care about copyrights.

I liked the video, but I understand the feelings of those whose images were used. I'd feel the same way if mine were included. But, it's still apparent that no laws were broken.

Seems like, to me at least, that everybodys right but nobodys happy. :(

BTW, have you ever googled your own screen names? I changed mine on some sites and use different ones on most sites of which I'm a member. One time I googled one of my screen names and found my private profile displayed via Google. :shocked2: :shocked2:

Notice that some savvy internet users have their signature names incorporated as a graphic which, without tags on it, is indeciperable to web crawlers.

Ok, I'll quit running the thread into the ditch now. :redface:

RC said:
rancher said:
Seems rather simple to me. If you don't want your picture being used for something other than what you intended, don't post it on the internet. Now, that doesn't mean it is right, just the way it is.

I haven't been on here for a while, but when I was, it almost seemed like a family, or brotherhood I guess, lotta guys that never met became pretty close,shared a lot..an understood what others went thru, goin thru, or needed ta hear,, an pretty much were good friends,(imho),so what I think Swampy expected..or woulda liked, was jus to be asked,,not even personally, maybe jus a post sayin they intended on makin a video of ml's, an would anyone mind if they used pics from the forum...not legalities, jus common courtesy..I'm sure we're aware that anything is out there,,but it would hurt to ask..would it? jus my feelins, forum's been a very special place fer me for awhile,made alotta good friends would never take anything for granted. guess that's jus me.. :thumbsup:

Right, and I agree with you completely. I would expect the same. I was just saying that if you put it out there people will take it.

Regardless of whether any laws were broken, courtesy would dictate asking people's permission to use their photos. The way I see it, because some people are not happy that their photos were used without their permission, the right thing for romel to do now would be to delete the video from youtube immediately and make a new one after asking permission from everyone whose photos he planned to use. :2

This reminds of how some Native Americans felt after knowing that a picture was taken of them, which was a new concept for them. They felt like the picture took a part of their soul. Now we can still view many of these photos that are years old. A recording of what once was. Not much different for some nowadays. Copywrights were unknown to them, also.

The video I'm sure was well meant however, as said before courtesy in asking permission would have been nice. My hobby is photography as the photographer I own the copyrights to all my photos. Even when someone hires me to take portraits, I own the copyright.

Here is a link to a photo site that simplifies the copyright issue. StockPhotorights

Ever wonder why big chain restaurants don't sing Happy Birthday to You? It's because of copyrights issues.

So anyways nice video but consider the photographers copyrights.

gmww said:
Here is a link to a photo site that simplifies the copyright issue. StockPhotorights

Thanks for that...this is the relevant Q&A:

Q: I’m using an image I found through a Google Image search. If it’s on the internet, doesn’t that mean it’s free?

A: No. Just because an image is on the internet, it doesn’t mean the image is free to use. You may still need the correct license to use it. There is a difference between an image being online and an image being “in the public domain” (the term given to content that is not owned or controlled by anyone).

All the images that were taken for use in the video are owned by someone else...they are NOT so called 'public domain'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back