• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Windex Cleans "right now"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think the water-soluble cutting oils (in water) would not make a mess or gum anything up?

Honestly though, the idea of using water to clean guns is something I am still having to get over. For the last fifty years I've always thought of water as the enemy of all metal and to be avoided whenever possible, and even using ammonia in its anhydrous form is a new one to me. Lots to learn.

Using water is not harmful to the guns. When I was in the military we learned real fast that water was our friend with cleaning your guns. We had slogged around in the sand, mud, swamps, etc many times. Then they tell everyone there will be a arms inspection in 15 minutes. Talk about some panicked frenetic gun cleaning going on. Hoppes #9 has no effect on mud dirt or sand.

When I was elk hunting and getting caught out with rain, ice and sleet storms them slipping and falling down in the mud etc. you still need to clean your rifle.

Years ago I got a 8mm and 7.62x39 baby Hakim rifles. Both were greased up sand and all. I took me like forever to get the sand out of those things. I think the sand particles got embedded into the wood stocks. Every time you rattled the guns more sand would come out to leave that gritty feel to them. Anyway I took them apart endlessly using water to clean them with. I would put it back together dried and oiled and it would feel ok until I operated the bolt then more grit would pop up.

How does Windex compare to Hoppe's Black Powder Bore Cleaner ?
HP00919LP.jpg

I’ve had pretty good luck using plain water on a patch if I foul up the barrel. Using lard for lube, and a plain water moistened patch on a jag will clean out most of the fouling just fine. Just run a dry patch after to get any excess and git back to shootin’…

Keeps things simple, cheap, and it works fine.

I use it to clean certain rifles I have shot corrosive ammo through. It never occurred to me to try it in a BP gun.
Good tip.

It works for everything else ;)

I haven’t used Windex that much for my muzzleloaders but have used it extensively for the last few decades with my BPCR(Sharps) rifles. I prefer the Vinegar Windex, cit 50:50 with water. A few swabs followed by some IPA and/or water, then dried and lubed cleans/removes the acidic residues and carbon in short order. My rifle bores remain in immaculate condition. While there seems to be some controversy between the ammonia based “Blue” Windex and the Acidic Vinegar Windex, My own personal experience is that the latter removes carbon/corrosive acidic residues faster, and more effectively…”Like dissolves like”. IME.

Last edited:
Many of the shooters at my club use it. I have to admit, I like it for a quick "trunk cleaning", but I dont think it does as good a job as a good hot soapy water scrub, where the nipple /nipple seat, etc. get very thoroughly scrubbed and flushed out. REally time wise, it is about the same, just neater.

I also have used generic windex with ammonia for milsurps with corrosive ammo. Make sure it has ammonia. Some doesn’t. I’ve only ever used water for BP. Last feb I took 2 rifles and 3 pistols on a Boy Scout outing. That night I heated water on the fire and had them all cleaned in little time. It’s really not that hard.
I started using Zep window cleaner I get from tractor supply. They now ask for ID to buy it. Works great on other stuff also.

Windex does the job quick and easy. It's simple chemistry guys, ammonia is a base and black powder fouling is acidic, hence able to cause rust (oxidation). Mixing the two changes to a more neutral pH, hence, far less chance for oxidation.

Sooooo, you guys in love with plain old water, keep at it. I can clean a musket in about 5 minutes with Windex.
blackpowder fouling is not acidic--a common confusion. It is highly basic. This is easily confirmed with a litmus paper test of the first water-wipe fouling patch. It generally reads pH of 11 - 12.0, due the presence of pitassium carbonate, potassium hydroxide and especially potassium thiosulfate. This caustic environment is why it can result in pitting corrosion, a more serious and harder to detect form of corrosion than simple surface rusting.

Back