• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Windex Cleans "right now"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i started out using water. i have tried WD40, it works good. i used K1 kerosene, it works. i now use Windex, it really works! an old man told me about the kerosene, if you use it get the K1 it has no sulfur, it is really just jet fuel,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Mike Venturino recipe for Friendship Speed Juice is a bottle of Windex with vinegar mixed with a gallon of water.
The Windex must be the vinegar type, the acetic acid helps neutralize the basic ph of the BP fouling.
Dawn dish detergent cuts the grease.
Water is the carrier that suspends and floats out particles of carbon fouling.
99% alcohol absorbs water (think gas line antifreeze).
Patch dry and oil to prevent rust.
Use tepid temperature water to prevent flash rusting (orange powder seen at the muzzle).
The mechanical action of brushing lifts the fouling for the water to carry away.
lastly apply your favour gun oil. Whale oil was it prior to advent of the automobile.
Now Jojoba is the Whale oil substitute.Lubegard Premium Lubricant is great source good oil on firearm.

Water is a universal solvent ! it should surfice to clean a B.P. rifle?
Water will only dissolve one of the three components of black powder and probably none of the after effects of combustion (soot). What you are doing with the water is no more than when you wash sand off your feet after going to the beach.

I guess what I have been using for years just ain't 'hip' no more and probably stopped working all together a couple years ago but I am too stubborn to notice.
I will have to try some of these new methods .... now to figure out how to get my .50 Pennsylvania and .75 Sea Musket into the Dish Washer at the same time!

Back