• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dawn Dishsoap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Hawkeye, I know our dogs love us more than our wifes. Did a test once put the dog and wife in the trunk of the car. After 4 hours let them both out, the dog by far was more happy to see me than my soon to be x-wife.
"
Do you know why divorces are so expensive??

Because they are worth it.

Although water pressure can help clean, water alone cannot remove oil from dirty dishes. This is because water and oil do not bond. In order to resolve this chemical issue, the manufacturer of Dawn dish detergents adds chemical surfactants to many of their products. Chemical surfactants contain two sides: one side attracts naturally to water, while the other side attracts to the oil on dishes. The oil-loving side of the surfactant pulls the oil off of the dish, while the water-loving side attaches the molecule to the dish water. When you rinse the water away, it carries the oil away with it. The alkyl dimethyl amine oxide in Dawn Power Dissolver is an example of a chemical surfactant.

Since there is no oil to remove from the barrel when shooting BP, what is the dire need for surfactants in cleaning away BP residue?

Maybe because greased or oiled patches leave grease or oil behind?

Since there is no oil to remove from the barrel when shooting BP, what is the dire need for surfactants in cleaning away BP residue?

Guess I would argue that there could be oil in the bore, especially if you use something like bore butter. There could also be left over protectant inside the bore and definitely on the outside. Dawn also removes the worse kind of grease found on every muzzleloader, Fingerprints which are very corrosive.
I'd also argue that surfactants do more than just cut grease, they also enhance BP residue removal.
Lastly, I would argue that your final protectant may contain or act as a surfactant, so either way you're probably using a surfactant.

There is much more to the story though than just surfactants.

It just amazes me how emotional folks get about what to clean with and how to clean their guns.

It's one of the most talked about subjects here.

"The oil-loving side of the surfactant pulls the oil off of the dish, while the water-loving side attaches the molecule to the dish water. When you rinse the water away, it carries the oil away with it. The alkyl dimethyl amine oxide in Dawn Power Dissolver is an example of a chemical surfactant."

"Since there is no oil to remove from the barrel when shooting BP, what is the dire need for surfactants in cleaning away BP residue?"[/QUOTE]

In my case shooting minies a fair ammount of the beeswax based lube is left behind in the bore. The actual black powder fouling is gone by the end of the second pass of the bore swab but it takes more to remove the lube. Dawn gets it done and it's very probable that the Dollar Store house brand will do about as well. Cleaning a gun is not rocket science nore is it difficult unless you choose to make it so.

When you lubricate your patch with an oil based lubricant such as bee's wax and olive oil, a mix of water soluble oil and water, Bore Butter, T/C Wonderlube or any oil based lube, you need a soap with surfactants to remove the crusty oil and fouling mix.

Surfactants also increase waters ability to remove soil as well as oils.

Even the guys who clean using Ballistol are still using a surfactant or emulsifier.
So pick your poison boys.

Surfactants are interesting things. In the agriculture, surfactants are known as spreader/stickers. The purpose of the surfactant is to flatten the water droplet. This is to increase the droplet size so it will stick to leaf material thus the chemical in the spray will penetrate the leaf better.

Yes, they have a lot of uses and applications. cleaning muzzleloaders is just one more example.

I often wonder what the folks from mid to late 1800s would think, if they could read all the opinions, discussions and disagreements on how to clean a rifle today.

Probably, they would think folks are over thinking something simple and they argue too much.

Surfactants are interesting things. In the agriculture, surfactants are known as spreader/stickers. The purpose of the surfactant is to flatten the water droplet. This is to increase the droplet size so it will stick to leaf material thus the chemical in the spray will penetrate the leaf better.
My home made poison ivy killer calls for vinegar, salt and dash of dash. So I gave it two dashes.

Sorry about that. I must have had dash on the mind. I meant a " dash of Dawn" in the weedkiller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back