• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dangerous Situation

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macman

1842 Harpers Ferry & 1795 Harpers Ferry .69 cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Guys and Girls,

I'd like to relate an incident that could have been a very dangerous situation. First I'd like to mention that as you can see I am new to muzzleloading and this forum. No excuse. About two weeks ago I found a small shiny round brass button shaped object on my garage floor. It was threaded on the back side. I had no idea what it was but it looked important so I threw it in my gun box. I discovered what it was the next time I shot my musket. Without knowing the button was the internal cap of the square measuring piston of my brass powder measurer. I measured my first load and dropped it and a ball into the barrel. I had a new range rod and marked the depth with a marker. When I shot the musket it kicked like it had never kicked before and let out a tremendous belch of fire and smoke at the muzzle. It kicked so hard it bruised my cheek. Well, come to find out without the cap on the measurer the tube filled up with powder around the square base of the entire piston. Later on I reconstructed the situation and found that I had unintentionally loaded 85 grains instead of the 45 grains that I generally use. Without the cap in place I had loaded about twice my normal charge. The cap had somehow unscrewed itself and fallen out. I know I should have looked into the measurer before I dumped the powder in. I have since re-screwed the cap with a little Loctite to hold it in place. I only report this so that this freak accident doesn't happen to anyone else. And I have notified TOW about the possibility of it happening with another unit, suggesting that they use Loctite also.

Phil

mas-120_1.jpg

Last edited:
A bunch of us are going to be checking their measures out....no idea something like this could happen. If I dig around in my stuff, I probably have at least half a dozen different measures and I've never heard of something like this happening with one. Thank you very much for the heads up here !!

Guys and Girls,

I'd like to relate an incident that could have been a very dangerous situation. First I'd like to mention that as you can see I am new to muzzleloading and this forum. No excuse. About two weeks ago I found a small shiny round brass button shaped object on my garage floor. It was threaded on the back side. I had no idea what it was but it looked important so I threw it in my gun box. I discovered what it was the next time I shot my musket. Without knowing the button was the internal cap of the square measuring piston of my brass powder measurer. I measured my first load and dropped it and a ball into the barrel. I had a new range rod and marked the depth with a marker. When I shot the musket it kicked like it had never kicked before and let out a tremendous belch of fire and smoke at the muzzle. It kicked so hard it bruised my cheek. Well, come to find out without the cap on the measurer the tube filled up with powder around the square base of the entire piston. Later on I reconstructed the situation and found that I had unintentionally loaded 85 grains instead of the 45 grains that I generally use. Without the cap in place I had loaded about twice my normal charge. The cap had somehow unscrewed itself and fallen out. I know I should have looked into the measurer before I dumped the powder in. I have since re-screwed the cap with a little Loctite to hold it in place. I only report this so that this freak accident doesn't happen to anyone else. And I have notified TOW about the possibility of it happening with another unit, suggesting that they use Loctite also.

Phil
Crazy things happen, glad nothing serious occurred. Thanks for sharing.
Larry

The bone implement on the right is my powder measure. it took all of an hour to make.
Using the Davenport Formula, I found my maximum charge ( filled all the way up). (74.5 grains)
Then I drilled and put a pin at the point where the best group happens. (55 grains)
I have two charges, and no mistakes.
2016-05-15 18.25.31.jpg

Had the same thing happen to me. I bought one that is a clear plastic. I wont use a brass one again .

85 grains of modern sporting powder would just about roughly equal the original loading in terms of power and recoil.

What powder were you using? If used that type measure for years and it’s great as you can go as low or high as you want from 5-120 grains so very useful to use for everything from a pocket pistol to a big bore rifle.

Back