• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dangerous Situation

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the mention - I just checked my Traditions adjustable powder measure and that piece was about a half turn from falling out!

Not all commercial ranges give you any other choice on rifle ranges. Our 1,000 yard range is prone or bench only.
Some ranges have had bad experiences with customers with little or no history or training, thus the restriction. (Insurance issue)
Not everyone has an option of a woods walk experience.
Equating them to small boys or girls - not very good manners......
You are right. My sincere apologies.

I have been a grump. I was wrong .

B.

When the shop was in operation we had a standing rule whoever did the sweeping would inspect the white plastic dust pan before tossing it. Anything other than metal shavings was inspected and put in the drawer. Adding "floor skirts" around bottoms of workbenches, machines, cabinets helped keep stuff from hiding forever and saved our derriere's a number of times. Lost flys come to mind. A strong magnet on a broomstick was the go to tool.

BTW, the Dixie catalog has a little list in the back technical pages, telling how many grains of BP are held by common modern ctg. casings; the M-1 carbine empty shell holds 30 gr. BP, etc. I always find little tidbits in the back of the catalog interesting. The new 2022 Dixie catalog is in, now, so "still only five dollars"! I've been getting them since the 1960's. Wish I'd saved them, the oldie back ones are going for decent money on e-bay, as nostalgia reference!

Late to the thread but tend to detest any measures with threaded this and that parts on them than can fall off! (like yours did)

Best way is to make pre set measures out of brass or or copper tube. Solder a base or a cap on the bottom of a length of tube. Fill with your charge of choice, measure and cut and smooth the tube off.

OR if you are really lazy try to find some big 'ol brass centerfire cases and do the same.

I am sorry.
I get full of fear sometimes and get grumpy.

Please keep lighting up something and produce photos for us.

B.
i quit that stuff in the 70's.................. OH! you mean muzzleflash! :ghostly:
Fear is a terrible emotion. i gave that up also in the late 60's , early 70's.
when faced with something that could cause fear i think , what is the worst thing i have ever experienced. then i weigh the thing coming at me against that. most every is ho hum on the fear scale.
the one thing i fear, is to out live my wife, or to die before she.

as far as photos, i am a one trick pony! can't multi task worth spit. never think about photos until too late.

I use 2 Uncle Mike powder measures , they are similar visually to the one Macman uses , but don't have a lock screw . The tube body and the face of the piston are slightly oval , the the piston rod is given a slight twist to lock it in the tube ,an oval against oval friction lock .To make sure the lock was not going to come loose I'd give it a firm twist . Over 40 years my firm twist caused the tube on one to crack and let the whole thing come apart . All I did to fix it was clean up the crack and use some JB Weld epoxy to fix things , then clamped it with some vice grips until it was dry , now it works perfectly . Each of my ML firearms has its own antler tine powder measure with a little pouring lip . I use the brass measure to find the best load , then I insert a drill bit the same diameter as the tube into the tube , mark it off with tape then drill out the cavity , finishing with the big bit . I then check the volume of the tine measure and correct it by drilling it a bit more or adding a ball of yellow bees wax until it is set just right.
If I loose the tine measure, which is tied to my horn strap , no big deal I can make another and the tine doesn't clank if it hits something or mark the stock

Good safety share about the measure.
As for the '42 I believe the standard load was 110grns even reduced by 15% for stouter modern bp and subs you should been just fine, hang on little snugger 💪

I've been told here that one can fill a gun barrel with powder and it wont blow up, so I think you were OK.

I shoot 100 grains of 2f in my Lyman .54 GPR.
Actually, if you fill your barrel up with powder in all likelihood it will blow up. There is a point in the ignition that the abundance of powder becomes the projectile which causes pressure to build and that pressure builds rapidly causing an explosion. This explosion can obliterate your gun barrel and possibly you as well. So please do not do this !

Actually, if you fill your barrel up with powder in all likelihood it will blow up. There is a point in the ignition that the abundance of powder becomes the projectile which causes pressure to build and that pressure builds rapidly causing an explosion. This explosion can obliterate your gun barrel and possibly you as well. So please do not do this !
Sure about that?

Back