• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dan & Mike's Excellent Adventure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dan "22fowl" and I had agreed that a late winter squirrel hunt at "The Land" (my lease) was in order. Our first chosen date in January was cancelled due to below zero temps and very high winds. Oh...we probably would have gone except that the squirrels would have been smarter than we were and stayed in their hidey holes! :grin:

Our next chosen weekend was Feb 5 - 7. While last Friday started out cold with single digit below zero temps, the day warmed up to the 20's and Saturday and Sunday were both in the 30's for highs...PERFECT!

The 800+ acre lease has an old farm house almost a mile back off the gravel township road and with the drifted packed snow several feet deep on the driveway, we had to pack in anything we wanted (notice I didn't say "needed" :shocked2: )

Here's Dan taking a break on the pull in. Is that sled loaded or what! Dan made it look easy though.

24278239753_4ff9411fc5_c.jpg

The old farm house was a welcome sight after pulling sleds for over an hour.

24278239313_c913caa141_c.jpg

Is that the sled the Grinch pulled up Mt Crumpit? No...it's Dan's loaded sled! :grin:

24809309052_fb2bb52c5e_z.jpg

Here's my sled...I wonder which one pulled easier? :hmm:

24300415923_a995758ecb_z.jpg

We agreed that if we did this again we definitely need a better consolidated list of what to bring! But I will say, we were comfortable during the stay!

We were anxious to get going, so we got the house heater going, stowed our gear, and headed separate ways into the woods. The afternoon was absolutely gorgeous! We had some success! My .62 Virginia smooth rifle loaded with 50 gr of KiK 2F and 1 1/8 oz of #6's spoke first.

24609649270_8fb3eeaf56_c.jpg

It wasn't but a few minutes when I heard Dan's .32 caliber rifle speak with authority. It was loaded with 25 gr of 2F Swiss, a ticking patch lubed with Hoppes, and a .310 round ball.

24927269415_3d6d4e0ff6_z.jpg

The day rounded out with a few more:

24537517769_0d8f05f9a2_c.jpg

24559643689_d7a711cfc6_z.jpg

24559643559_a5cd533636_z.jpg

Dan also took a few pictures of the landscape:

24900971986_5e97bde269_z.jpg

24300415983_86f4df8c88_z.jpg

24833929431_8cc3885b04_z.jpg

The next morning it was time to load a crock pot with the evening's dinner...a venison roast from my buck taken with bow in November, and we added Dan's squirrels from the afternoon. Topped it off with potatoes, carrots, celery, and Lipton Onion Soup and let it simmer all day.

24811751611_da4b8d0070_c.jpg

Dan was heading for the far southeast side of the property for the day. Here he is ready for a day of great adventure this time with his .40 cal loaded with 40 gr of 2F Swiss, a .024 cotton patch lubed with Hoppes, and a .395 round ball:

24900971956_f282687ce0_z.jpg

And he had success, including his first BP Rabbit!

24900971816_f3a3b5bbe1_z.jpg

24927270905_b7f72f3b32_z.jpg

In the meantime, I headed to the North end of the property. Unfortunately that area was devoid of squirrel sign, so I reversed and headed to the middle of the property for the afternoon. I had to cross back past the house on the way and kicked five Tom Turkeys off the old crab apple tree in the farm yard. Cool!

I did find a couple of squirrels. Put a stalk on one and just before I shot I heard another squaking about 100 yards up the ravine. So after shooting and cleaning the first one I went after the other who wanted nothing to do with me. Fortunately my aim was on as he ran leaping from tree to tree and finally across a branch high in a tree about 20 yards away and my moving aim was on and #2 of the afternoon was in my game bag.

When the squirrels fell, they sometimes just buried in the snow. On a few, just the tip of the tail would be sticking out...others you could see.

24787197452_01ba849b29_c.jpg

24905121885_bbec2f16cb_c.jpg

After a long day in the field, the glow of the old farm house lights were a welcome sight!

24927270845_2170759ef0_c.jpg

And the crock pot meal was superb!

24905118495_affbbf55a4_c.jpg

As the sun rose over the squirrel woods on Sunday, our final day...

24900971156_38f2e730ca_z.jpg

Dan and I headed out together to hit "the big ridge" in the middle of the property. Here I am geared up for the day.

24296680354_7901b9e940_z.jpg

We split up each taking one side of the ridge. Dan snapped a few photos of the scenery:

24300415023_214d212116_z.jpg

24559642759_8a5c912b97_z.jpg

Taking aim:

24927270215_706f1d6142_z.jpg

And we got a few more:

24900970636_b51b62cced_c.jpg

24296680714_39d26c147e_z.jpg

24905119345_094c824f3a_c.jpg

It was getting on towards noon and since we had to pack up and get back to "civilization" we headed back. We were just about out of the woods when Dan saw another squirrel that ran up a large oak tree.

And that's when the trouble started! I shot that squirrel way up in the big oak and as it tumbled down it hit a piece of trunk that was leaning at a 45 degree angle. The squirrel literally rolled down this long section of trunk head over heals as true as a bowling ball stuck in the gutter. Dan and I had to chuckle a bit at the sight and that's when the "squirrel gods" decided they had had enough of us! :slap:

I had barely retrieved the squirrel from the bottom of the tree...

24927269505_d0f45d73a9_z.jpg

when Dan said "Look...there's a tail in that tree...it's a big fox squirrel!" Well, Dan got lined up on that squirrel and "poof"...a flash in the pan. The squirrel went WAY to the top of a very tall, branch-choked tree. I walked around the other side and at least it moved around so Dan could try again. "Poof." Again..."Poof." What the heck! :idunno:

As Dan was figuring out that he in fact had a dryball (more to come) I tried a shot, but there was just too much "stuff" in the way for the shot pattern to make it to the squirrel. As I went to reload I noticed that the exceptionally beautiful pick that Dave2C made and my daughters had just given me for Christmas had come off my necklace. :doh: :shocked2: The big fox squirrel looked down on us and laughed a sinister laugh as Dan had his ramrod screwed into a ball at one end and hooked on a branch at the other violently pulling and I, in anguish, frantically searched the snow for the pick. :surrender: For those of you not familiar with Dave2C's pick and brush sets, they are works of art as well as highly effective tools. It wasn't like losing a piece of wire. :shake:

As Dan continued to perform surgery on his rifle, I decided to get the last squirrel cleaned (we both clean them right away instead of at camp as they skin so much easier when warm) then follow my tracks back looking for the pick...like a needle in a haystack. In the meantime Dan did get one ball pulled and the charge behind it out only to discover there was another ball, even more stubborn, stuck at the breech. :redface: :redface: His rifle was done for the day.

24833930551_ac50f48662_z.jpg

As I searched Dan graciously followed up behind me to the site of the squirrel kill prior to the last one I shot as I figured that was the last place I saw it on my necklace. After some looking and not finding it Dan headed back on our original trail out while I decided I would walk back on a track I had made earlier in the day...just in case. Neither of us had gone far when Dan called out that he had found it. It was buried in the snow to the hilt and somehow Dan saw this dark little blob in the snow which turned out to be the pick! Thanks again, Dan. At least the evil squirrel God's didn't win that one! But they did convince us the hunt was over.

As we packed up some visitors came to the old crab apple tree:

24878981856_8fa9c99057_c.jpg

We were both tired by the time we got the sleds back to the truck, even though they were lighter. The hunt was officially over. But Dan did send me this picture of his bounty about to go on his table at home...a nice Squirrel, Rabbit, and Pheasant stew....game from a new hunt, as well as an old hunt.

24296679374_1ff77a94c4_c.jpg

Good friends, good times, good food...this hunt for small game with flintlocks at the land was really what it's all about.

Thanks for sharing our adventure.

Awesome story :thumbsup: :hatsoff:
So glad you didn't lose your pick......Dave's stuff is awesome....
Thanks for sharing.....I enjoyed it.... :applause:

Yes, that is what it's all about, for true. And sharing it with a friend rounds it out perfectly.

Excellent, thanks.

Spence

Thanks for putting this all together Mike!
Just a couple of comments...
Pack lighter and prep for 8 to 10 hours on snowshoes..HaHa!
Both wore wool..Mike went full bore traditional
his wife made him a pair of awesome drop front pants that were really nice... I went with the lighter snowshoes and had the wood ones for back up..
The lights of the farm house were a welcome sight saturday night...
Never did admit to Mike all of my Ma-Ma-Ma-Misses
Beautiful country..saw yotes in daylite 2 of the 3 days no shots...to dark to call for night yotes. Did get up early to catch the late night star show just before first light each morning..zero light pollution...bald eagles hunting- soaring down the middle of the valleys..Deer, turkeys, squirrels, numerous pileated woodpeckers rapping on the dead standing trees.
This is a mature oak-maple-hickory beach-birch woods.lots of deer, beds, tracks and rubs that are big enough to make you just imagine the buck that made them..Truly a gem...
Recommend hanging with fellow black powder nuts. .......Thanks Mike!

Thanks for taking the time to share your hunt and pictures with us. Really nice. :thumbsup: Dan.

Love the story. Good times with good looking guns. I like that Heim haversack too :thumbsup:

WB...That haversack held 2 thermos 16 oz cups of liquid love..camera,game-n cleaning supplies.lots of king sized almond joys.. :grin:
oh and some fruit too!
Left the range finder and monocular in camp to pair down weight..This bag goes everywhere I do ..
Makes a great "man purse"... :haha:

22fowl said:
tracks and rubs that are big enough to make you just imagine the buck that made them.

From imagination to reality. This was the 2015 season's biggest racked buck...B&C 173". We had at least one other of this caliber and plenty to choose from just a bit smaller. Not that it's easy-peasy to get them...they have a way of disappearing. The rut does help, but it still takes hunting skills to put them in the bag. SE Minnesota does have big whitetail bucks! Not to mention that a doe was taken off the place two years ago that field dressed at 193#. :shocked2: If deer had a roller-derby, she'd have been the team captain!

22699321850_eb48d08e11_c.jpg

thanks for sharing, it has been a bust for me this year and seeing that beautiful country along with your story is a pick me up.

creek

WOW! that is one hardcore adventure.
Looks like a ton of fun.

Thanks for sharing.
Pat Cameron

I'm glad you guys enjoyed it. It looks like fun for you youngsters. Florida has me spoiled though and the cold and snow just isn't my cup o' tea any longer.

Thanks for the vicarious trip.

Very nice!

Your sleds remind me of years gone by when I would pack in anything and everything I could think of and want. My pack weighed about 50 lbs and I often took an ice chest too as I love milk. But SWMBO showed me the errors of my ways and my pack weighs closer to 30 lbs due to packing our daughter's things too (she is almost 7 and carries her PJ's, pillow, sleeping pad, and a 1 liter hydration bladder ~6 lbs). But then the weight would go up carrying hunting gear too...

Latest posts

Back