• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cylinder Loading Tool

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve got one from RMC OX-YOLK.
If loading on a bench they are just OK.
If loading two or three cylinders at a time there might be a benefit. Rather than investing in one of those, get into paper cartridges. For casual round ball with powder just load one cylinder at a time as normal.
In my opinion, these are just extra weight with the only plus for multiple cylinders.

I’ve got one from RMC OX-YOLK.
If loading on a bench they are just OK.
If loading two or three cylinders at a time there might be a benefit. Rather than investing in one of those, get into paper cartridges. For casual round ball with powder just load one cylinder at a time as normal.
In my opinion, these are just extra weight with the only plus for multiple cylinders.
That is best way. Paper carts work great.

That is best way. Paper carts work great.
Agreed, I’ve got to believe if you’ve used paper cartridges chances are you’ll never go back to any other way.
As far as speed, I’d like to see a timed challenge between the paper cartridge and the cylinder loader. Remember, with that loader, you still have to get the cylinder back in the gun and with Colts, reassemble the gun and wedge.
My money is on the cartridge.
Snoot’s opinion only, others may differ…

I have a kit on the way for making paper cartridges. I had a replica 1860 Army many years ago. I just picked up a Ruger Old Army. I'm not planning on shooting competitively, just plinking out in the country. I'll give the paper cartridges a try and go from there.
The great thing about this forum is that so many of y'all have a vast amount of experience. I'm trying to not reinvent the wheel, so to speak. Thanks for the advice.

The issue I keep having with paper cartridges is when shooting multiple cylinders the nipple holes eventually get a plug of paper that even picking won't clear.
Needs to ne taken down and dug out from the inside.
Also the only times I have ftf so I quit using them.
I usually wipe the cylinder pin and face of cylinder while loading on the press as well which keeps everything running smoothly every time.
I have all day so time isn't my concern.

I've been working on a diy loader made from a pipe clamp fixture. Haven't had time to try it yet.

Ironhand

20240106_175611.jpg

20240106_165154.jpg

Don’t get me wrong I to really find them indispensable I just didn’t like this manufacturers style, need to make or find another one.

Latest posts

Back