• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pistol for edc?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acohill1

72 cal
Reaction score
Do they make a good revolver for edc? My worry is i don't have a place to discharge the gun at the end of the day. How long can you leave a cylinder loaded b4 needing to be shot?

That is a pretty weird question and statement.

Are you asking about black powder or black powder substitutes revolvers ? If so, no, they are not at all suitable for EDC.
Few if any of us have a place to discharge a BP gun (or any other gun) let alone at the end of a day and bottom line is, if you want an EDC, buy a cartridge gun.

You don't have to discharge it unless you need to clean it. There are ways to unload other than firing. C02 dischargers and pehaps a T handled short starter with a ball puller attached somehow or purpose made for the job. I've left black powder guns loaded for over a year before and they go off with no problem. you may have to tae some extra precautions to seal the chamber mouths and around the nipples.

I love my BP guns, but in my opinions they are not something one should consider for every day carry. They are a novelty, though still very dangerous and capable arms. In the times we live in one needs a modern cartridge gun for edc. If your a felon and this is your only option for a firearm figure it out for yourself.

Do they make a good revolver for edc? My worry is i don't have a place to discharge the gun at the end of the day. How long can you leave a cylinder loaded b4 needing to be shot?
What is EDC?
For every day carry there is a long list to look at before I would consider a cap and ball gun, UNLESS, there was a legal restriction because of some unfortunate run in with the law sometime in the past.

As much as the cap and ball revolvers go for now, you can get a used modern one cheaper. Taurus and Rossi come to mind. Used, that is. And if you are trying to circumvent some stupid state law, you will be in as much trouble carrying an antique firearm as a modern one, move somewhere else. Felon? Also, you will get in big trouble even shooting a home intruder. Get your record expunged. All costs$$$$$….

A lot of this cap and ball for self defense is the advent of legal medical marijuana. You can’t possess a firearm and have a medical marijuana license, so people want a gun that is not considered a firearm under federal law. The feds may not care, local law enforcement may, depending on where you are. Consult an attorney!!

No, there really isn't one. But if it was me and that's what I was gonna do, a shortened barrel reproduction based upon the Remington 1858 would be about as good as reproductions get. In performance it could be on par with the small sized larger caliber self defense revolvers that came into favor at the end of the 19th Century.

Just for starters....bp handguns leave a lot to be desired from the safety stand point...that is, integral safeties, that are of course built into every modern EDC firearm, from the 1911 to the simplest of modern revolvers. You certainly do not want to carry a bp firearm with a full cylinder, certainly not cocked. If carried in foul weather, despite being carried....reliably certainly will not be what a centerfire would be, and emptying /cleaing the firearm at theend of every day will get old very quick.

I have seen a number of original "belly guns" -- shortened versions of the Colt and Remingtons without the loading levers -- that were modified and carried for this purpose in the 19th century. They look hokey, but they are not modern farb fantasies. I would very much hate to be looking down the muzzle of such a revolver. If you poke around on Youtube, Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch fame has an interesting video on the single action for personal protection.

I love my BP guns, but in my opinions they are not something one should consider for every day carry. They are a novelty, though still very dangerous and capable arms. In the times we live in one needs a modern cartridge gun for edc. If your a felon and this is your only option for a firearm figure it out for yourself.
At various times and places, I have carried BP revolvers and never felt at a disadvantage over cartridge revolvers. From my very first, which was a .36 brass framed Confederate (the real deal, not a reproduction, that I picked up for about $25 in a pawn shop.) to the one I have now, a .44 New Army with fully fluted cylinder. Have had more cartridge guns misfire than BP.

I'd have to agree with nkbj. A 5 1/2" Remington would be my choice with an extra cylinder possibly. Totally coil sprung, it is as reliable as a Ruger but in a smaller/ lighter package.

20230519_184918.jpg

Last edited:
My goodness!!
What makes me think if someone asked about an everyday motorcycle, almost every post would be about how much safer and reliable an SUV would be?

What's wrong with just answering the question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back