• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cva prospector pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For most of my pistols, for target work, I used an empty 38 Special case full of 3fg Goex powder with a patched .433 swaged ball. Takes a very, very thin patch like muslin. Not particularly scientific, but won several local matches.

I hemmed and hawed over one of them back about 35 years ago and by the time I decided to get it, the gun had sold.
Never seen another up for sale when I had money. Sure I seen a few since, but always when I am dead broke.

Something grabs your eye, get it then. Don't put it off till tomorrow.

Does anyone have any loading data they would like to share?

Start with 20 grains of 3f and a patched ball. Work your load up in 2 grain increments until you find a group you can live with.
Consistently load it every time. Same patch, same ball size/weight, same lube, same amount of lube...etc.

I have a couple of the Tingles and use them when teaching left-handers. A simple design and good performance.

George

I just got these 3 Tingles, but I have not fired them yet (still trying to figure which size balls to use)...
Tingle BP Magnum target pistols.jpg

I hemmed and hawed over one of them back about 35 years ago and by the time I decided to get it, the gun had sold.
Never seen another up for sale when I had money. Sure I seen a few since, but always when I am dead broke.

Something grabs your eye, get it then. Don't put it off till tomorrow.
Has taken me 7 years to find one to replace I lost in the house-fire (never even got to shoot that one due trying find the right size RBs).

Nice pistols there. Interested to hear ball size as well, I have one of the Tingle .40 cal's, and a .395 ball is way too small. Will be watching.

Last edited:
I have one also made by ARMI SAN MARCO. I bought it used from Dixon's back in 1996 for $95.xx. It is in excellent shape. It is a .44 cal and takes a .433" diameter ball. I made an extra barrel for mine in .36 caliber. The only issue with it is it is heavy but balances well.
here is one........

ASM Prospector .44 Caliber Percussion Pistol Kit
$249.00
This single shot pistol is ideal for target shooting or display. The steel frame is engraved with two distinctly different scenes - one depicts the gold rush, the other a wagon train. This pistol takes a patches .433 round ball.

another......

@hrt4me,

Congratulations on getting the USA made Tingle pistols. Also good to see you measured the bore. If 0.417 and 0.426 are the land to land bore diameters, then I would start with a 0.395 ball wrapped on a 0.020" thick patch. This will be fairly tight in the pistol with the 0.417" bore. If you want an easier load then try the 0.015" thick patch. Patch lubricant is your choice.

The Tingle pistol is simple to take apart by removing the screw in the underside of the frame. The smaller screw will loosen the underbarrel web. Once the screws are removed, a plastic faced hammer or wood block can be used to drive the barrel off the frame.

Once upon a time Zonie chastised me for asking about my (Italian) Tingle. It is kind of, sort of a traditional design.

I just slugged the bore on my Tingle ".40 black powder magnum". It measured .409 lands, .429 groove dia. Rather Odd sizing. My .40 cal rifle is .401 on the lands.

ASM had some nice revolvers too. Several passed by me. I was a big enthusiast
of the Palmettos-- especially the stainless Remington NMA. Because Palmetto
priced their stuff to my liking--cheap! Of course, you had to overlook a few
bubbles in the castings. That aside,they were accurate shooters. Deer Creek had
the last batch available for $150 bucks less that the Pietta and $200 under the
Uberti.

Back