• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Salvage project- "Colonial" pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajbennettnc

20-to-the-pound
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Done some trading with a feller yesterday and got a great deal on a mess of lock parts! But that's for another thread. Before I left, I mentioned that I was looking for a pistol stock, and the gentleman had one in an outbuilding. Had a percussion barrel and a trigger assembly on it too. Recognized it as an early Jukar or Dikar pistol, of the type CVA changed up a bit and called the Colonial. Got it for a picture of General Jackson.
Turned out it had something in the bore. After pouring down water I pulled an extremely tightly patched ball from it.
Then, I began to work on removal of the barrel. I forgot to take a picture before starting work on it. It had an interesting way of being attached to the stock.

Attachments

• 20230528_113705.jpg
    20230528_113705.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 20230528_113708.jpg
    20230528_113708.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230528_113714.jpg
    20230528_113714.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230528_113727.jpg
    20230528_113727.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230528_113955.jpg
    20230528_113955.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230528_114018.jpg
    20230528_114018.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Done some trading with a feller yesterday and got a great deal on a mess of lock parts! But that's for another thread. Before I left, I mentioned that I was looking for a pistol stock, and the gentleman had one in an outbuilding. Had a percussion barrel and a trigger assembly on it too. Recognized it as an early Jukar or Dikar pistol, of the type CVA changed up a bit and called the Colonial. Got it for a picture of General Jackson.
Turned out it had something in the bore. After pouring down water I pulled an extremely tightly patched ball from it.
Then, I began to work on removal of the barrel. I forgot to take a picture before starting work on it. It had an interesting way of being attached to the stock.
Very well might have been a kit pistol. They didn't come with the barrel tennon pin holes drilled and someone probably screwed up aligning the holes when they drilled them in the stock. They probably then jury rigged a way to attach the barrel to the stock to cover up the mistake. I have one that the same thing happened too.

Last edited:
I have a 12 ga double that has a crack like that going through the lock mortice, a left over from my mis-spent youth. I don't worry about the barrels coming apart anymore, It's the stocks and the lose nut behind them that don.t hold up.

They are a fun pistol to shoot. Makes a really nice belt pistol. I have redone three of them. You can do a lot with them to make them better looking like reshaping the wood around the lock to give it nice definition, slimming them down some, and reshaping the front end. I have a flintlock one of these that is in very crappy looking condition that I need to get working on. It is fun bring them back to life.

Some progress. Just made and installed the front sight today. Filed the one that came off the other barrel too small, so I had to make a new one. Second attempt worked! Still have to rig up a better pinning job, but that's for another day.

Attachments

• 20240203_182643.jpg
    20240203_182643.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back