• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mt. Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
Anybody know what's the going rate on the older CVA Mountain Rifles?

Against my better judgement I was on that Gun Broker site... Clicked on an ad and saw an older "Made in USA" Mountain Rifle with what looks like the prettiest wood I've ever seen on a CVA. The ad didn't give a lot of information...
50 cal very good condition used very little.
Anyway, I've never owned a CVA Mt. Rifle but always heard the early USA ones were good shooters. I rarely ever shoot cap guns anymore. I didn't need one. But, dang it was a pretty one...
So I placed a bid and ended up winning the auction.
Assuming it is in as good of condition as the ad says, I think I probably got it for a good price, but what are they going for these days?

i don't know what yer gun is worth but, I saw it on gunbroker & it sure does have one pretty stock. and if I had any ready cash i'd have been biddin' against ya. enjoy yer new toy & have a Merry Christmas, bubba.

I had one in colo. 35 years ago. one of the best shootin and accurate ones I owned. it was a 58. cal. prices on em toay is in the 350 area.

rj morrison said:
prices on em today is in the 350 area.
I'd be guessin right around there now-a-days.
Mine was 200 shipped 5yrs ago,, USA stamped barrel 4 screw patch box, hexagon pipes, but pretty much plain jane stock.
And I had to do the trigger bedding job so many of'm need

scan0001.jpg

I once owned a CVA Mountain rifle with the Made In America stamp on the barrel.

Nice looking gun but it wouldn't hit a bull in the butt at 10 yards.

Before buying it, I didn't check the barrel and come to find out after finding out how poorly it shot, the barrel was bulged.

Appearently, the previous owner(s) had shot it with the ball only about 8 or 10 inches below the muzzle. The resulting bulge caused it to blow the patch on every shot and the ball would end up flying in all sorts of directions except at the bulls eye. :(

$300-$350 for the older USA marked ones with bargains sometimes available for much less, I always liked the Mountain Rifle but it does not fit me well, my nephews like it though.

I just got one for $215 shipping included about 3 weeks ago. it is .50 cal.

I don't know about the Mt Rifle, but I own a CVA Hawken from the mid 80s and it is a fine rifle. Very very accurate. Very dependable. The only time it failed to fire was when I used Pyrodex in it. Won't make that mistake again.

I bought my CVA Mountain Rifle kit at the Thrifty Drug store in Tempe, AZ around 1978 for less than $130. It was very accurate, good enough for me to win the final shoot-off at the Muzzlestuffer's Annual Rendezvous.

HOWEVER, watch the drum for gas leakage! I ended up sending my barrel back to CVA and they replaced it for free.

That's too bad. I have been lucky. Mines been a great shooter and still is. I paid $200 for it back in the late 80s. I still enjoy it to this day, but it has taken a back seat to my Kentucky Flinter. I'm really hooked on flintlocks right now.

I sold a "Big bore" Kit still in the plastic 3 years ago for $450, no problem. I have seen them going over $450 regularly

I fell in love with the CVA Mountain Rifle a few years ago, have had 4 since, sold 3.

The first was a nice 80's model, maple, patchbox, .50...the new style trigger guard. Bought it for about 250, sold it for about the same after receiving number 2...a rare version..80's again, .50 but with a walnut stock and no patchbox. Was a "presentation" model or "centennial" or something. Was like new but i sold it..300.00ish i think. Number 3 was a kit model, a flintlock in horriblely finished condition, with the initial styles 2 finger trigger guard. Got it at a pawn shop for 100.00 and sold it for 225.00. Number 4 came from Bubba .50 here on the forum and is also an 80's style but a "Deer Creek" kit i believe. Its a .45 and has nothing but ".45" on the barrel. No other markings. Is the newer style trigger guard and has a patchbox..has a unique buckhorn rear original sight and i refinished it myself. Is browned now and has a very nice birdseye maple stock. Is my keeper and the one i pick up for every deer hunt..is also the one i pickup when i want to feel a well balanced, slim and pretty much perfect rifle. Paid about 300.00 or so for it. Well worth every penny.

Bought mine as a kit through Montgomery Wards back in 1978. Other than Black Powder only, 50 caliber and serial number no other marks on the barrel.

it's a tack driver out to 150yd.
I think it was $179 or something back then but maybe it was $129 can't remember that far back.

Going price? ya all likely don't have enough money to buy this un!

Hey.......I got one of those......thanks for remindin me, I wonder where it is :hmm: . Accidentally bought mine the same way 6 or 7 years ago but is has a very plain stock. Don't remember what I gave for it but I think they are runnin quite a bit higher now. I saw one in Boise 2 years ago and he was askin $375.

I accidentally bought another last week. A .54 Mowrey, brass with the prettiest fiddle back maple I've ever seen on a factory built rifle. Never been fired.......will likely have to remedy that. :grin:

Mountainman56 said:
I accidentally bought another last week. A .54 Mowrey, brass with the prettiest fiddle back maple I've ever seen on a factory built rifle...

:rotf:

Never an accident but was forced to buy one a few months ago....business associate who knew I was a BP hound had a buddy needing cash so naturally he bought me a traditons springfield hawkin for $150. Never fired. As I have one I was not pleased till I got it and saw it was 1-66 :grin: Now I am happy to have been forced. Only shot about 8 rounds so far and carried it in deer season. Was touching several shots at 80 yds and I did not "work up" a load so it may well be a tack driver!!

Mountainman56 said:
Surely Jethro and I aren't the only ones who've "accidentally" bought rifles :idunno:

It happens from time to time.
According to what I'm seeing here I got a real good price. :grin:

No, you are not the only ones - earlier this year I was on GB, had a few glasses of merlot, and bought a really nice .54 Sharon. That thousand dollar lesson sunk in and I don't log onto GB anymore if I have had so much as a drop. I don't really regret it, it is my nicest looking rifle and shoots exceptionally well.

Mountainman56 said:
Surely Jethro and I aren't the only ones who've "accidentally" bought rifles :idunno:

Nope your not :idunno: That`s how I almost always get mine :redface: "Accidentally" decide to stop at the gunshop, then "accidentally" find this really cool gun at a great price. Next thing it`s "accidentally" in my truck with me and we`re going home :haha: :surrender:

As for Mountain Rifles, I`ve still got the .50cal version I ordered from the J.C. Pennys catalog back around 1980 or so. It was my first muzzleloader and has always been a good accurate and reliable rifle. I can`t remember what it cost back then but it was a good bit less than a TC Hawken. That was the deciding factor for me then, and I thought the longer thinner profile and browned hardware just looked better.
Can`t say what they go for used around here because I don`t remember the last time I saw one in any of the shops I stop at. I do know that if I ever run across a decent condition Big Bore or flintlock version it`ll probably "accidentally" end up in my truck :haha:

Back