• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mountain Rifle .50

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
From Cody Wyoming, now lives in Oakwood Illinois
I will start off by saying that I recently picked up a couple of CVA Mountain Rifle's. Both are .50's and both are Spanish made guns. Purchased them from 2 different place's. Got a great deal on each one of them so I couldn't pass either one up. Both are great to excellent condition as well!

Not an expert by far but I do know a little bit about the CVA Mnt Rifle. I use to own one back when I was a teenager. It was a kit gun that I had never finished. Went into the service and never knew what ever happened to it after that.

I started this topic because one of them seems very unusual to me. Let me tell you what is the same on this rifle like you'd see on other Mnt Rifle's and then what I observed as totally different.

The Same
1. German Silver, 2 screw, patchbox.( not the older style)
2. Same trigger guard
3. 32", two wedge barrel.
4. Buttplate
5. Newer style thimbles
6. Same ( German silver blade front sight ) and same ( standard Mnt Rifle Rear sight ).
7. Same Mnt Rifle Buttplate.

What is different
1. Lock, The lock on this rifle is a larger style lock with only one lock bolt. It's also engraved and factory blued. It seems to be the same lock that you'd find on the latest version of the CVA Hawken before they quit making them.
2. Lock Bolt Bushing is not inletted into the stock like you'd see on most Mnt Rifle's.
3. Nose cap is same shape as the Mnt Rifle but isn't Pewter and a little smaller in diameter.
4. Wedge key plates are not inletted into stock but is held down on forearm with screws like you'd see on the latest version of the CVA Hawken. The wedgekey plate's are german silver though.
5. Barrel is factory blued and is 1:48 twist. Not your 1:66 that you'd usually see on a mountain rifle.
6. Has all the lawyer talk along with Connecticut Vally Arms,printed on barrel. Also has the word MOUNTAIN printed on it too!
7. The clean out screw is inletted into the drum like you'd see on a later version CVA Hawken.

Over all length of both Mountain Rifle's are the same. Both stock's are 2 wedge key. Both barrel's are 32".

When put side by side both rifle's look very similar in appearance to each other except what I mentioned above.

I do understand that the Mountain Rifle had undergone several changes and that production was halted and reintroduced several times. Just never seen one with one lock bolt and the larger CVA Hawken Lock as well as the 32" 1:48 twist barrel?

This Mountain Rifle has sort of stumped me! :youcrazy:

Anyway, It's definitely a factory built one that looks very nice indeed!

I apologize for not including pics of it yet and will do so as soon as I can get my photobucket account to load them from my Iphone. Seem to be having a problem loading them at the moment. Never had a problem before! :confused: Anyway, as soon as I figure this out, pics will be forth coming!

Would appreciate any input or knowledge about this type of CVA Mountain Rifle. Anyone else own one or heard of one like this?

Respectfully, Cowboy :thumbsup:

It could be one of the last ones made in the 1990s or early 2000s or one offered by Deer Creek Products (even with CVA barrel).

Some of those late ones had different trigger guards. Most of them were stocked in walnut as well and some had chrome lined barrels too.

Back