• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Bobcat takedown

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bilder

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Got a question on taking apart a CVA Bobcat. The one I got in trade needs a cleaning before I will feel comfortable taking it to the range.

The one I got did not come with any tools. I know all you have to do is to remove the oblong peg, but was wondering what is the best way to do so without the tool?

Thought of using a screwdriver to push it out, but and worried about scratching it up. Any hints and tips?

Also wondering if I need a special tool to remove the nipple for cleaning or will a small wrench do just fine?

A screwdriver blade or a used Popsicle stick should work if your careful.
Just guide the tip resting it against the wedge and use a small mallet or hammer to tap it. The wedge should come out fairly easily.

The special tool that looks like a claw on a claw hammer often does more damage to the wood adjacent to the wedge than using a screw driver or Popsicle stick.

The distance across the flats on the nipples I measured are .180-.183 for the revolver nipples and .200-.210.

Because revolver nipples are down in counterbored holes a 3/16" open end wrench cannot be used.

The rifle nipple wrenches measure about .250 between the flats indicating that a .250 open end wrench could be used on your rifle but a 7/32" would work better if you can find one.

In a pinch, I've used a small 6" adjustable wrench by holding it so that the jaws come down on the nipple flats from the top and then turning the adjusting worm so the jaws were seated tightly.
Although these methods work, buying a good rifle sized nipple wrench is the best plan.

Thanks for the info.

Going to clean this baby up, get in some range time to sight it in and if I am lucky, do a couple days of hunting black bear next weekend followed by some well earned fishing time.

Momma and the kids are going to be gone and I will be left to fend for myself for 5 whole days. I took advantage of the opportunity and got all of those days off of work. Have not had this much alone time in several years. I will either have too much fun or get bored out of my mind.

If a Popsicle or craft stick isn't available then 1/2 of a wooden cloths pin works great to push out the wedge pin without marring it.

My long gun disassembly tools:
1. Hammer handle (tap wedges out)
2. Small flathead screwdriver (well, screws!)
3. Gerber multi-tool (pull wedges and nipples)

Das ist alles.

just took one apart 10 mins ago smallish screwdriver in wedge pin and hit with heel of hand then remove screws and it almost falls apart!

Back