• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cutting large chunks of lead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,
I have a literal brick of lead. Obviously much too large to fit into my casting pot. What method(s) could be used to cut small sliced off this mass?
Thanks,
Bruce
I have had a few of those, I put them in a coffee can on a fire until it liquefies and recast into more manageable blocks

My first try was frustrating. I didn't want to use the saw as I didn't want any more airborne exposure or clean up. What 'worked" for me was using a med size axe pounded on with a 3lb hand sledge. What a work out,. While the cost is a bit more I only needed to cast about 80lb for a life time supply. I ended up buying 1lb ingots from Rotometals and wouldn't ever consider chomping on big ingots again. I do admit that a sawz-all or circular saw would have worked much better than the axe.

I recently had the pleasure of discovering that the valve was stuck open on my Lee Production pot, which I had plugged in and left to heat. Dumb mistake right there. I tried a cold chisel and a hacksaw with poor result. The propane torch did the trick. Never occurred to me to try the Sawzall.
Tom, what do you think of the AZAD Factory blower? I tried one of the little Zomax blowers with a charcoal forge and it didn't have the volume to do the job.

Attachments

• image_67232513.jpeg
    image_67232513.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I’ve used various ways. A saws all works well with a blade designed for tree limbs. My wood shop band saw, but that leaves a lot of chips to clean up.
Had a large number of plumber ingots that would not fit my small Lee pot. I used a propane torch to melt them into the pot.
Any hand saw that is sharp will cut lead.

3-4 tpi bandsaw blade (for wood) cuts thru 2” thick soft lead with ease .. smaller tpi seem to clog up.

Last edited:
Hello,
I have a literal brick of lead. Obviously much too large to fit into my casting pot. What method(s) could be used to cut small sliced off this mass?
Thanks,
Bruce
I have work on remodeling Radiation Vaults that required additional lead . They are “bricks “. The installers used a miter saw. Be sure to wear a mask.
When they needed to cut thick sheets they used a circular saw.

Hello,
Thanks,
Bruce
Bruce, methods are many and vary, and everyone has access to different tools, what tools do you actually have access to???

I still have a 100 pound ingot. The cold chisel doesn’t my work with it. But it is too heavy to heave up on a band saw. I thing a chainsaw or a sawzall or even a gas torch might do the trick though. Of course maybe a nice back yard camp fire and a big iron pot would work too,

A three inch wide "flooring chisel" and four pound plus "mashie" (sledge hammer) lets you 'shave' off what you need or want.

Back