• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cutting large chunks of lead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a literal brick of lead. Obviously much too large to fit into my casting pot. What method(s) could be used to cut small sliced off this mass?
Thanks,
Bruce

A saw and some oil. I use a bandsaw. I had zipped up many brick sized pieces on the band saw. Clean up the lead sawdust so it does not get tracked into the house.

I missed out on a 500 plus pound lead pig. IF I had to deal with it I would have used a chainsaw.

After the chainsaw I melted the chunks down over a charcoal forge, then into ingots for the lead pot.

1707336510390.png
1707336542811.png

Careful with the Oxy-Acetelen torch. It will get the lead hot enough to create lead vapors that will make you sick.
I use a rosebud tip in a well ventilated area outside. Makes short work of it melting into my ingot mold. I've also used an old hatchet with a 3 pound hammer to cut off smaller chunks.

I have a 25 lb. plumbers lead pot that I Got from my dad, we used to use it to cast the joints on cast iron pipes. So far I haven't gotten a piece I couldn't use it to melt down and then cast 1 lb. ingots. works better to clean up the lead instead of putting dirty lead into your casting pot.

I've used an old 10 in cast iron skillet and a Colman camp stove too. I also have a couple of plumbers pots and the kerosene burner but it takes more fiddling with to fire it up for under a hundred pounds of lead to melt, You are right they are excellent for cleaning up dirty lead.

Back