• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Custom hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may want to attend the HawkenClassic to learn from some the countries best builders..
There’s a ‘Hawken Classic Group’ on Facebook.
CAFF4133-9708-474F-88DF-DE972D816624.jpeg

I’m not sure I’m a gun builder quite yet. Where does one buy parts at?
The Forum has an advertiser that offers a very good Hawken Kit. Look at the advertisers at the top of the page.

The Hawken Shop offers one that would finish up as one of the level 2 kits.

As @rich pierce says for all their apparent simplicity, the Hawken rifle can be a very difficult to get right.

The Forum has an advertiser that offers a very good Hawken Kit. Look at the advertisers at the top of the page.

The Hawken Shop offers one that would finish up as one of the level 2 kits.

As @rich pierce says for all their apparent simplicity, the Hawken rifle can be a very difficult to get right.

ive looked at the hawken shop kits, I really like there kits except I’d like a .58 slow twist. If they would have that as a option I’d probably do that.

Brant Selb makes Hawkens, and he’ll be glad to quote you a build time of about 18 months.

Trouble is, he’s about off by twice that. Just saying. Anyone considering a Selb Hawken better be willing to wait 3-4 years for it.

Mr. Selb quoted me 2 years. Had a great visit with him but told him I am 71 and can't wait 2 years.

It appears to me that the most often mentioned builders of top-quality Hawken-style rifles are Bob Browner, Brant Selb, and John Bergmann. There are certainly other people building them, but I don't remember all of the names. As an example, a forum member last year showed a splendid .58 caliber Hawken that was built by a little-known maker in Idaho named Robert Bradley. This rifle had an atypical "snail" and an unusual triggerguard (for a Hawken), but there was no mistaking the rifle's pedigree. Check out posts 61 and 67 in this thread: Is That A Hawken?

A custom builder should be able to make a rifle in the style you want, but built to your specifications for length of pull, drop, caliber, etc. Expect the cost to start at about $2,000, and from there, the sky is the limit. My rifle from Mr. Bergmann took about eight months. As noted in previous posts, some of the other builders may not be able to deliver for 2- 4 years or more.

I have heard some very good reports regarding the Hawken Shop kit. I think the Hawken Shop can now offer completed rifles, although I don't know who their builders are, or the time frame, or the final cost. To my knowledge, this rifle is only available in .54, but it has an excellent barrel.

If you are not ready to take on the cost or wait time of a custom rifle, you still have some options, especially if you are willing to make some compromises. Pedersoli's Rocky Mountain Hawken will cost you around $1,500 in maple or $1,300 in walnut. It is in .54 caliber. You have said you want a .58, and I respect that, but this is a compromise to consider. These rifles are not authentic in every detail, but they are close.

Finally, I would suggest looking at used rifles. A forum buddy of mine just recently bought a fine .58 caliber Hawken-style rifle from the classifieds on this board. Check the classifieds every day. Also look in on used guns from Track of the Wolf and The Gun Works. You never know what might turn up.

Good luck to you!

Notchy Bob

If you want to save some money and still have an excellent rifle, buy a T/C Hawken in .54 with a 1” barrel. If that’s not large enough for your taste, send the barrel out to Bob Hoyt and have him bore it out to .58. Should not cost too much, and you will have a good shooter. Just my 2cents worth.

I can’t say enough about Mr. Selb, that guy is one solid fella. His work is awesome! But both the “Bobs” 🤣 are giving some solid advice. I picked up my Selb 54 on this forum. You may not get everything you want but I’m sure you’ll find something that will check most the boxes.

RM

Here is a full stock plains rifle done in the Hawken style. Built by Roy Stroh from a TOTW kit. It's a .58 with a slower twist. Roy does excellent work. But I don't know his current schedule. Took one year to get this one.
Seems 1-2 years is the norm, even if built from a quality kit.
In the OP's case, not wanting the wait time of a build, I would place a "Wanted" ad in the Classified section of this Forum. Something like: "Wanted - .58 Hawken Style Rifle" and see what turns up. You might be surprised.
Another option, as mentioned above: If you find a rifle you like, but it's in a .54 caliber, you can send the barrel to Bobby Hoyt and have him re-bore it to .58 in what ever twist you want.
So, there are options to getting something sooner at a reasonable price point.
Good luck in your search. Just takes a little patience.

Speaking of Hawken rifles, at an auction just this past week, 4 "original" Hawken marked rifles sold for between $13,000 - $27,000.00. That all four showed up at one auction tells me they probably all belonged to one collector. Wonder who ?

Rick
001 (Medium).JPG

I've got a line on a Hawken made by JD Anderson of Tullahoma, TN.

It's a 58 cal, walnut stocked, iron mounted Hawken. L&R lock, no barrel maker's name on the barrel. Poured pewter nosecap, captured keys, hooked/slant breech. Barrel is 1" x 34 1/2". One dent in the RH butt stock, shallow scratch on the side plate, one dent on the LH nose near the nose cap. The stock flares just a bit near the nose cap on the bottom side. Don't know if that is correct, but I haven't seen it before. Rifle is numbered 171. 14 1/2" length of pull, 52" overall length, 3 1/4" drop at the heel, 9lb 7oz. $1800 shipped.

I just picked up a Log Cabin Shop Uberti Hawken (Sante Fe) and am not sure whether I'm going to grab this one or not.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll put you in touch with the seller who is also a member of this forum.

Walt

I very much enjoy muzzle loaders, I have since age 8 or so, dad bought me my first 54 cal renegade to be my first deer gun. I prefer the looks and feel of a half stock hawken style rifle. I want my next rifle to be a .58 slow twist hawken. I’ve looked for factory guns without much luck and I’m wondering if I should look for a non factory rifle or even find a builder. What has stopped me doing that so far is first the cost and second I have no clue who or what to look at. How do I know one custom gun is better than another? I know enough to inspect for overall condition and spot out neglect but that’s it. I just want a deer and elk rifle that will last me another 30years. Any advice or direction about things to look for or maybe builders or makers to consider would be appreciated.

Andy
I‘m in the same boat, I’m wanting a solid elk rifle. My calibre of choice is .54 calibre, my preferred rifle design is a, early Plains/Mountain Rifle…Flintlock.

I went to Track of the Wolf and several other parts suppliers and ordered the parts to assemble the rifle, .54 calibre, 36” Corlerain Barrel...this is a gun that I have wanted for several years, and I finally took the initial step of ordering the parts. I’ve had the parts for 3 months now…

Now I’m looking for a local builder. I had a builder lined up, but turns out he hates double set triggers…so go figure.

If I had the skill, I would assemble the gun myself…but I don’t, so I won’t.

Latest posts

Back