• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

custom hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mainmechanic

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Can anybody recommend a good hawken rifle builder. Location not real important but I do live in central pa. Thanks.

John Bregmann in Tenn is one off the top of my head an there is a guy by the name of Selb that builds a really nice one. those are the only two guys work that I have personally seen. I dont remember the Selb guys first name but im sure somebody on here will know it

I'll recommend any of the smiths at the GRRW (Green River Rifle Works) Collector Association. They're the handful of smiths from the old GRRW still living and building rifles. The results of their early experience at GRRW and the years accumulated since really show up in today's rifles.

My original GRRW Hawken was built back in the '70's by Ron Paull, and last year I had him build me a Leman Squirrel Rifle through GRRW CA. As good as the Hawken is, the workmanship on the Leman is even better. Wow. I didn't think I "needed" another Hawken until I got that Leman in my hands.

Thank you gentlemen. Good info as always. Will wait several more days to see if any more names come up. Will keep informed. Thanks again

Mainmechanic,
I have three half-stock Hawken Rifles. The first two were built from unsold Sharon Rifle Co. kits. I purchased these Sharon parts from Charley Maggard in Phoenix around 1980. These parts sets consisted of the barrel, breechplug/tang, set trigger/guard, buttplate, toeplate, nosecap, RR pipes and lock bolt escutcheon. Stock wood was NOT included. I provided the stock blanks and did all of the inletting. In the late 1980's or early 1990's, these rifles were reshaped by Doug Scott from the Hawken Shop in St. Louis, while he was living in Tempe, AZ for a couple of years.
#1 - Walnut stock, 1"x36" .50 Cal. Sharon barrel, Unmarked Ron Long lock, 14" LOP.
#2 - Plain Maple stock, 1"x34" .50 Cal. Sharon barrel, MARKED Ron Long, Denver lock, 14" LOP.

#3 - Curly Maple stock, 1"x34" .54 Cal. 14"LOP
W.M. Large JJJJ barrel, Marked Ron Long, Denver lock. This rifle was built by James Murphy while a member of the Kickapoo M.L. Club in Central Illinois.

Thank you. I came on here a couple days ago looking for anyone whose heard of him or met him. Trying to live up to his legacy. Got a few of his guns, one of which may be one of the most finely tuned rifles in the world. It was always "his" rifle.

If you are worried about how he was, it was sudden and in his sleep. The day before was coincidentally one of the happiest days hes had while ive been alive.

There is a nice Hawken at Track Of The Wolf.

Actually there are 2, one being a George Nelson.

Last edited:
Thank you. I came on here a couple days ago looking for anyone whose heard of him or met him. Trying to live up to his legacy. Got a few of his guns, one of which may be one of the most finely tuned rifles in the world. It was always "his" rifle.

If you are worried about how he was, it was sudden and in his sleep. The day before was coincidentally one of the happiest days hes had while ive been alive.

Zane: I have one of your GF (Doug) rifles from when he was in St. Louis. It still shoots X's when I do my part. I knew him from the Hawken shop and I guess the Gemmer Club. Great guy and a privilege to have known Him.

I am so sorry to hear of his passing. I was just talking with a friend the other day about my Scott gun and all the places it has been and shoots it has shot, always thinking of Doug.

May he RIP.

W.B. Selb Makes the best Hawken rifles I've seen. He has a web site with prices and photos.
Check him out, you won't be disappointed!

I have a hawken built by Brant Selb, it is a good one and my favorite. It was a long wait when I ordered mine but it was worth the time.

Back