• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Custom Hawken / Plains rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pronghorn

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Like many of us, I am in love with the Hawken / Plains style rifle. I am interested in obtaining a custom gun of this era and would appreciate any info as to whom to contact.

What are the chances of finding a fine rifle for under $1000.00?

Any thoughts on the .58 caliber vs the .54? Would like to make this gun my new elk hunting partner next fall.

You might want to check their site. They have some rifles all the way up to a .62 caliber flintlock in a German Jaeger style that would sure work on elk. With the slow twist rifling it would be an excellent roundball rifle. Also a lot of fun to hunt with. Something that big would sure put a world of hurt on an elk or anything else for that matter.

I have contacted them and some of their rifles are near your price range. Perhaps you both could find a happy medium. I have no idea of their quality. I was looking at different rifle makers, came across them, and have been email thing about different rifles..... I have been trying to find some people that own their rifles for their opinion on the overall quality..

Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading

There is a custom .58 caliber Hawken on[url] Gunbroker.com[/url] for $900. Just type[url] gunbroker.com[/url] into your browser window, then click on firearms(collectible), then click on black powder replicas. Type hawken in the search window and you'll
get a few entries. You'll find the custom gun in among them. There is one bid on it, so you may have competition.
This is a good representation of a $1000 gun-maybe a $1200 one. It's a nice one, for sure.
I have a full custom Hawken in .54 caliber that I wouldn't sell for love nor money. I like the .54 because it seems to shoot a bit flatter than a .58, but given the usual ranges involved, this really isn't of that much consequence in the real world.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are interested in semi-custom check out the following site. www.austinhalleck.com They sell a mountain rifle with a 32" barrel with iron trim in either flint or percussion and PRB or conical twist. Pricing for one with "select" curly maple is just under $800.00 the "fancy" maple is under $600.00.

I have one and they are great shooting guns that have a very authentic look. I believe you'll find a true full custom Hawkin will run from $2000 -$3000 and take 6 months to a year if you order a new comissioned piece.
:m2c:

Since you are in Colorado, I suggest getting in touch with Tom Faux in Brighton (303-452-8052). He makes a fine Hawken. You can see his work at the gun shows in Denver. Last I talked to him his basic rifle was $1050 and there was about a 6 month lead time.

I got my A&H for 623 shipped and that was with a hand select stock ( very purty ) ifin you decide to go this route pm me and I'll look up the sight I orderd from
I think the fancy went for around 525 and select was 472 I THINK?? I cant benember.....

I love this rifle...

I don't know how I forgot Don Stith's guns. These kits are first rate. The hardest part is choosing which one you want.
One thing to remember, the quality will linger on long after the price has been forgotten.

Pronghorn;

I have a custom built full stock Hawken, .54 built by Tim Brown. I highly recommend Tim. He'll keep you up to speed with e-mails/phone calls and he'll send photo's of your rifle as it's progressing. Also check out Snake River Rifle Works. Please steer clear of the Hawken Shop. Mr. Brown had one h#&* of a time getting parts from them which slowed up the build and seeing that it was my cash-moolaa they were sitting on just made the situation that more irksome. Have fun researching ::

John L. Hinnant;

O.K.:www.geosites.com/custommuzzleloaderworks/guns.html
If that doesn't work go to Google and enter "Tim Brown gunbuilder".

I can't say enough good things about Mr. Brown. I had several "custom" Hawkens built buy so-called builders that frankly came out looking like junk. Tim was my last hope. We discussed everything from the rifle's look to where we were going to purchase the parts. Before we even agreed to do business with one another, he gave me 3-4 references' to contact concerning his work. All replyed in the affirmitive and one gentleman even sent photo's of half a dozen rifles Tim had built for him. I wish I had done my homework harder for it may of kept me away from the fools I managed to get involved with prior to Tim. I don't think you'll go wrong if he buildes a firearm for you :redthumb:

It would probably be pretty hard to find any real difference between the effectiveness of a .58 vs .54 on big game. Now if you take on grizz, you might want to skip both the .54 and .58 and go to .62" or bigger! Technically, obviously, the .58 is more powerful, because the ball has more weight, but I think it would be a hard thing to actually see when dropping an Elk.

Now having said that, I'm a .58 fan myself. There's just "something" about a .58".

When I selected a caliber for my Jaeger, I was torn between .58 and .62...but since they both came in the same size barrel, I chose .62" because it made for a slightly lighter rifle. (bigger hole, lighter barrel)

I'd go for the bigger caliber, .58", for that reason, (or even .62 if you can get that in the same size barrel as a .54/58) I can't imagine you'll ever find the .58 to be "too much" gun.

If you choose .54", I can't imagine you'll ever find it to be "not enough" gun.

Rat

I just ordered a .58 caliber Renegade from Fox Ridge Outfitters. I think the Hawken is also available in .58 caliber. Mine will be a flintlock, and it's gonna cost me $340.00 plus tax from a local gunshop. I think a Hawken will cost you about $100 or so more.
By the way, it would have cost $419.99 for the same gun ordered from Fox Ridge Outfitters.
Both guns should be available in .54 cal. as well.

Rat.. when you compare long range shooting with the .58 VS the .62 caliber roundball.. do you note any serious difference in ball drop. The reason I ask is I am in the process of a custom flinter being made and have not decided between the two calibers. I like the idea of the .62 caliber only for the reasons you stated... lighter barrel and bigger ball. I also feel there is no such thing as too much gun.

Boy, sure can't say that I do...I stick pretty close to the 100 yard limit when it comes to muzzle-loaders, so bullet drop between the two calibers would be a non-issue to me.

Also, considering both my .58's both will take a .570" ball, and my .62 fires a .600" ball, I'd say trajectories between them would have to be very small at any range...possibly un-measureable as the difference between .570" and .600" is pretty tiny...definately less than the difference between .580" and .620", if you know what I mean.

Of course, "your results may vary", depending on what make barrel you use, and what size ball it likes. Mine's a Colerain, and it likes a .600", and I know others with the same barrel and same thing, the .600 loads best...610"s really have to be pounded down. In a way, my .62 is "only" (!!!!) a .60 calibre. Ha ha only a .60!

Well I know what you are going through...I had to think that over for a long time....58" or .62". But, I have no regrets, love the .62, it's becoming/has become quite popular so no trouble getting moulds, jags, etc. I'm glad I went .62".

Rat

Back