• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crisis averted - useful tool?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryoung14

45 Cal.
Reaction score
While cleaning my .54 Deerstalker this afternoon, the brush broke off in the bore. Brand new TC brush; snapped on first stroke when I went to pull it out.

Realized a metal tube that fit inside the bore could capture the brush, but didn't have anything long enough. Did have an empty .338 Win Mag. case that I found would just fit inside a .54 bore.

Cut off the case's bottleneck at the wide end and drilled out the primer pocket with a #11 drill. Found a 1/2" 10-32 phillips head screw lying on the bench, dropped that in the case, and jiggled it around until the threaded portion dropped through the reamed out primer hole. Stuck a screwdriver in the open end of the case and attached the case to my range-rod using the 10-32 screw.

Ran this contraption down bore, forced the open end of the case over the brush and pulled up. Brush came out easily on the first try.

The 338 case is too fat for a .50, but a 30-06 or 270 case should work.

I've never used a brush in my rifle. You don't need to use anyway, just a little Dawn an water cleans everything up 100%. Glad you got it out, An never use one again, its not needed to clean a muzzleloader.

and if ya ever do feel the need to use a brush again get the ones that have the brass base that the wire coil goes through & never again use the cheap-@$$ t/c brushes that are just crimped into a piece of aluminum.

The last time I used a brush in a muzzleloader it did the same thing. I think it was about 1978.

You were smarter. I took the breech off and buggered it up in the process. Brushes aren't necessary and came along with breech loaders.

Now that is useing your head. It is hard not to panic when these things happen. Geo. T.

its amazing how many posts like this ive read about tc bore brushes breaking off in bores. I'd stay away from them thats for darn sure. Other places make them and seem to not have this trouble.

cool trick ... gotta remember that one . (by the way, i usually don't use brushes ... patches and warm soapy water work OK for me - but for those of us who do, it's a good to remember idea)

thanks for the post!

Another easy remedy is to straighten out a coat hanger and twist a corkscrew on one end. You can then thread that around the brush and pull it right out.

Several years ago I used the tip from a member of this site to slide a length of tubing over the broken brush, and it indeed works like a charm. :thumbsup:

Back