• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Craptastic first day with flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To have a clue as to the amount of powder build a paper cup so the removed barrel flat is the bottom -- you can simply sweep grains over and down the touchole. You'll blow that thing out in three shakes of a lamb's tail. Yes, be careful where, outside, you shoot it -- it's a loaded gun!

The notorious and deadly dry patch.

Please let us know how you make out. Be sure, if trying to shoot it out, that if it doesn't make it out the barrel you add a little more powder and reseat it tightly each try.

Good luck!

Aim it at the cat and post a pic in the hunting section. Might as well get some joy out of it.

Just about to take possession on a Pedersoli .50 Kentucky, will have to take care with that situation myself. All part of getting to know a new rifle. Don't stress over it. I would definitely be trying the powder option then the gas option before any wet option which will remove any opportunity for ignition.

Can you email me? I may be able to put you in touch with someone close to you that can help out.

After 40 years of shooting, I finally managed to seat a ball sans powder. I couldn't get good enough grip between ball puller on the rod and the barrel to pull it out (no T- Handle, so I removed the lock, unscrewed the touch hole liner and dribbled in some powder I poured into a spent .17 cal. rimfire brass. couldn't have been much more than about 5 grains, but when I reassembled it all, and touched it off, the ball made it out to the 100 yard berm without even a bounce - i did aim about 4' high and it hit several inches above ground level, but I was amazed that it didn't drop closer in and bounce.

After getting the ramrod stuck in the barrel with a dry patch twice, when using the regular ramrod, I started using my cleaning rod with the hole in the end that you put a strip of cloth through.
The "only" time the regular ram rod goes down my barrels is when I'm actually loading a charge.

My cleaning rod is one of those three piece ones that I can take apart and stick in my pocket.
I've never had it come even close to getting stuck.

reddog97 said:
Can you email me? I may be able to put you in touch with someone close to you that can help out.

Tried PMing you.. not sure if I did it right.. but..

maypo59a AT gmail dot com.

I am going to try to blast it out this afternoon when I get back to the house. The 3fff is way smaller than I thought it would be, so should go in the hole pretty easy. 4ffff must be dust.

capt_turk said:
After getting the ramrod stuck...

I started using my cleaning rod with the hole in the end that you put a strip of cloth through...

My cleaning rod is one of those three piece ones that I can take apart and stick in my pocket...

This is another mistake unless you were just using a mop in a smoothbore.

And, yes, did you get the stuck jag out? Inquiring minds wanna know!

:cursing:
My fff was 777.. I learned that it wouldn't ignite in a flint lock.. unless I used BP as a "starter charge".. lol. So I had to find some real BP.. my shooting buddy says I am doomed now..

:hmm:
Anyways, took the wife to dinner at one of her favorite restaurants 40 miles up the road, and worked in a stop at a very large gun shop that carries "the stuff".. picked up a couple pounds each of fff and ff..

:wink:
It is supposed to rain ALL weekend, but if I get a break from chores/projects at the same time there is a break in the rain.. we will see. (was 1 1/4 inches in the gauge when I walked the dog eairlier.. flood warnings started Thursday..)

How is it drug addicts figure out how to blow stuff up all the time but we can't seem to burn a few grains of fine powder here already!?

I assume the end came off your ramrod in the barrel. You can look at the ramrod where the end came off: buy a large sheetmetal screw that will engage the hole in the ramrod end; buy a steel rod that will fit in the barrel at the hardware store, drill a hole in the end of the rod and solder in the end of the big sheetmetal screw where you cut off the head. Slide it down the barrel and "fish" for the end that came off. Once you engage it, screw the rig tight into the end, grab the end of the rod with vice grips, or a vice, and pull it out. Never use a rod that the end has not been pinned on. This is not really that difficult, and it does work. Don't ask me how I know this works. Keep the steel rod to pull bullets when you forget to put powder in first. We all do that sooner or later.

Alden said:
How is it drug addicts figure out how to blow stuff up all the time but we can't seem to burn a few grains of fine powder here already!?

I don't think drug addicts have quite the schedule I do, so they have more time to burn stuff down.

I made an attempt last night, apparently did not get enough powder in the hole. I did however get to see/experience my first "flash in the pan".. best part is, I am "pretty sure" I didn't flinch. (But I have shot some very large caliber stuff in my life)

frogwalking said:
I assume the end came off your ramrod in the barrel. You can look at the ramrod where the end came off: buy a large sheetmetal screw that will engage the hole in the ramrod end; buy a steel rod that will fit in the barrel at the hardware store, drill a hole in the end of the rod and solder in the end of the big sheetmetal screw where you cut off the head. Slide it down the barrel and "fish" for the end that came off. Once you engage it, screw the rig tight into the end, grab the end of the rod with vice grips, or a vice, and pull it out. Never use a rod that the end has not been pinned on. This is not really that difficult, and it does work. Don't ask me how I know this works. Keep the steel rod to pull bullets when you forget to put powder in first. We all do that sooner or later.

I am hoping the rod end will be salvageable, it's kind of "different" and I have not seen another one like it before, nor can I find one on ToW's site..

If you find a screw that fits the open hole in the ramrod end, you might be able to pull it out without visible damage. The number one important thing here is to use a very strong rod long enough to get a good grip on it. For target type shooting, I always load with a plastic loading rod that is a foot longer than my longest barrel. (Some folks prefer a brass or stainless steel rod.) I only use the wood rod under the rifle for woods walking and hunting. This loading rod has a strong end pinned to it that will easily pull bullets. (I have done it twice.) This makes what would be a minor disaster with a short wood rod, an inconvenience. Of course I use the plastic rod for cleaning. With the pinned end, it is almost inconcieveable that the patch could get stuck to the point that I could not pull it (and the rod end) out.

I did this exact same thing about 2 days before the muzzle loading season in Pa. I used my air compressor blow gun attachment with a black rubber nipple on it for a seal and shot my jag through an empty Yuengling box. Worked fine.

OK.. so had a few minutes before dark to get at this today.

The good news.. It's out. I worked 3-4 grains of Shuetzen fff in through the touch hole, primed, set it in a gun vice so I could use one hand to drape/hang/dangle a piece of heavy carpet remnant in front of the barrel..

out she came.

The bad news.. 3-4 grains of fff is enough to launch the rod end with enough velocity to blow right through said carpet.. into the backyard leaves. :cursing:

I doubt I will ever see that rod end again. Dangit.

Thanks for all the help/advice/encouragement. Cleaned her up, a surprising amount of nasty for such a small, single, shot. :wink:

Back