• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Craptastic first day with flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do you worry about loosing a ramrod tip? Can't find one at TOW???
$4 for a new proper jag and $2.50 for a new ramrod tip. You spent probably more driving around to get the powder and for the dinner....
At least you appreciate the power of a few grains of FFFg now :))
Order an indestructible ramrod and the problems are solved. The trip to the doctor to stitch your hand up when a bad rod breaks is far more than the cost of such a rod and thus it can be justified as advanced safety and maintenance.

maypo59 said:
The bad news.. 3-4 grains of fff is enough to launch the rod end with enough velocity to blow right through said carpet.. into the backyard leaves. :cursing:

I doubt I will ever see that rod end again. Dangit.

Thanks for that! :rotf:

After reading another post on the forum I was in a bad humor but your comments (after I had mentioned that 3-4 grains of powder would have a lot of power) cheered me up.

Sorry. I guess I should be more sympathetic to your problem but I can just imagine the look on your face as you looked at the smoky hole thru your carpet.

Unfortunately, the only way I know to find your ramrod involves walking back and forth thru the leaves. When you hear a loud "crunch", that was your ramrod. :shocked2:

I get the impression you are going to stay with shooting your gun. I am glad, as most "hand it to me on a platter" folks would get rid of the gun after such a first time experience, telling all who will listen that "those things" just don't shoot!

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Outdoorman

outdoorman said:
I get the impression you are going to stay with shooting your gun. I am glad, as most "hand it to me on a platter" folks would get rid of the gun after such a first time experience, telling all who will listen that "those things" just don't shoot!

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Outdoorman

Well.. I like things to work right from the start just as much as the next guy.. but this was my own fault(ish). I actually learned a bit during "the ordeal".. lol. I also now know where to get real BP..

I also learned you *can* put your flint in upside down, for a longer strike, and in this case MUCH better "sparkage".. Having only 1 flint, and only 1 flintlock.. I expect it to be a lot of learning curve action. Hopefully I can meet up with a local club next month and get some experienced help.. (Not that I don't think for a moment I am not, can not, get it here, but sometimes face to face is good too.) I had never even seen a flinter fire in person until my rod end went down range.. :wink: nor had I smelled holy black until then. nor had I cleaned it up.. :haha:

"Flintlocks etc" will be in town for the 18th century market fair in a few weeks.. going to go on Friday and learn as much as I can and buy the stuff I need, like a pan brush, smaller patches, flints, etc. I have bought from him before for my cap guns, and he seems to be a good guy.. I already made a flint wallet and new ball bag for these little ones.

Yeah! Congrats. Yeah, shattered ramrods are the pits. There too something not quite "period" might be in order for practical use vs. hanging over the mantel...

Well, if you're still looking for the tip and need a metal detector to look for it, I have one. I live in the E-town area too. If you find any local clubs how about shooting some info on them.

Frank

The gun was nasty because your first post was 12 days eariler..Go Figure.
Hope your bore is still good.
12 days is too long to go between cleanings.

makeumsmoke said:
The gun was nasty because your first post was 12 days eariler..Go Figure.
Hope your bore is still good.
12 days is too long to go between cleanings.

It was UNFIRED.. I was cleaning it before loading or firing.. :wink:

After getting the rod tip out, it was about 10 minutes until I cleaned it. I was combat arms for 20 years active duty.. I know how to, and what to, do, to maintain weapons.

fcderosa said:
Well, if you're still looking for the tip and need a metal detector to look for it, I have one. I live in the E-town area too. If you find any local clubs how about shooting some info on them.

Frank

There are two clubs "close".. One is in Elizabethtown, "The Bucksnort Longhunters" They put on the 18th century market fair at Pritchard.. That is the 7th and 8th of Feb. this year. They have a membership table set up every year.

There is also a club or maybe two, in Louisville/LaGrange. The one I know of is "The Wilderness Rangers", they have a range in LaGrange, and shoot the 4th Sunday of every month, as far as I know.

It's sometimes hard to tell from the NMLRA web site just where a club is.

I'm happy to hear that your and your rifle's problem is satisfactorily resolved. I have been shooting caplocks for 40 years with no problems but on the second loading of my new custom-built early Lancaster I dry-balled it. Used my SS range rod to extract the ball/patch with slight difficulty but I have since developed a little mental exercise that has kept me out of trouble and I NEVER load while in conversation or otherwise sharing my attention. baxter.

Back