• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Correct starting load for a Investarms 50 cal HAWKEN

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went to an auction on Sat. and got a Investarms 50 cal HAWKEN type rifle (for 100 bucks, and it even had a scope), it appears to be in pretty good shape . After I clean it up good, I need help with the load, I was thinking of starting out with a .490" Diameter (175 Grain) Lead Ball, lube patch with a 60 grs. FFG black powder charge ,does this sound about right for a starting point (there were no booklet with the gun).

I have one I built from a kit...book calls for a max load of fff at 70grains and a max load of ff at 90 grains.....I started at 50 grains and it shot so good I just stayed with that, but I just shoot paper....Alvin.. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
60gr would be fine. I usually start with the same gr as caliber on new to me guns i.e. 50 cal/ 50 gr and work up 5 gr at a time. Pistols I go with about half like for a 50 pistol I would start with 25 or maybe even 20.

I have a 1984 investarm 50 cal and I shoot 70gr ff with a 490 pbr and spit pillow ticking(.020) for 50 yrd. I started with 50 gr and increased by 10 grto 100gr (ouch that hurt) doing 5 shot grps to find what the rifle liked best (tightness of group) I've used T-7 ff and fff, Pyrodex RS and P and also Goex ff and fff. 10 gr less with the fff grades. I've shot some 495 lead balls but they load hard and not worth the effort for me. The thickness of the patches some thing to play with also. just use 100%cotton or store bought lubed. theres recipes for lube on this sight too. from my experience the pyro rs is good for me as its easier to clean but then again I've never let the sun set on a dirty rifle plus I play with mine 2-3 times a week ( I like to make them go boom)Like you'll hear finding out whats best for yours is part of the fun....ps I use boiling hot water to clean

60 grains is a good starting load although it is usually suggested that you start with the same amount as the caliber, 50 cal= 50 grains.
I think that you are on track using .490 RB and your patch thickness should be .15. Maybe later when you find the best powder charge for your rifle you can try a .20 patch and see if that tightens your groups. Alos, your rifle may shoot better with depending on the powder granulation, my .50 prefered 3f while my .54 does it's best using 2f.

90 grains 3f Goex under a Hornady 385 Great Plains
Bullet has brought two small(400-500lbs) cow Elk home.
For trailwalks mine likes 50 grains of Goex under a.490 roundball patched with .015 denim.

Latest posts

Back