• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cookin a squirrel over an open fire

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quinnconner

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just bought a squirrel cooker yesterday and I am a wonderin how long to cook a squirel over a bed of coals.How high to hold it over the coals? What seasoning other than salt and pepper.I am going trekking next month and hope to cook some like this.I figure on some kind of corn mush to go with it ,and some fresh fruit.I wont be able to soak the squirrel out in salt water so....Any ideas would be great!!
J.J.

Yep I agree just like chicken. Hold it fairly high over the fire and let'em cook slow though or they become very tough to eat. Turn them very regularly. I like mine without spice or soaking. Just gut'em, skin'em, behead'em, cook'em slow, eat'em... ome of my buds like'm fried instead... Don't matter much to me, they are GREAT... Best regards Loyalist Dawg

Just make sure their the country kind, you don't want City Squirrel or Slick Tail Squirrel. :crackup:

TheGunCellar

juniata jack,
:agree: with the others as to cooking
slow over an open fire. But it has is my experience that they
are still a bit tough after slow cooking over an open
fire.
Now put a couple of those tree rats
1/4 up in a Dutch Oven with some diced tomatoes,onion,
celery, carrots and mushrooms, garlic and a can of
chicken broth,salt & pepper to taste with water to cover and cook till the meat
is just about to come off the bone. Now that's some good
squirrel. Then there is squirrel gravy over biscuits but
that's another recipe.
snake-eyes

O.K. one squirrel for the spit to roast over the fire and another to run in an activity wheel to keep the first one turning.

The next time I go out squirrel collect'in I'm taken Snake-Eyes with me, that sure sounds better then squirrel on a stick.
:master:

TheGunCellar

I agree that some of these have my mouth watering, but I think that the point of this exercise was to use the squirrel cooker in a period correct meal while on an outing.

Not so?

With that in mind, what would the preparation options be?

I am no cook, but I recall from a trip to Colonial Williamburg learning that turnips, onion, salt and pepper were all readily available. The use of various seasonally available crushed fruits might be used to flavor. There were also spices which were rubbed onto game meat. Various forms of sugar glazes could also be used.

Of course, I like a bit of kitchen bouquet, pepper and cilantro as a maranade, one of which would not be very PC!

CS

Back