• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel season is open!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhaverstick

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was supposed to be in Mexico this weekend hunting Gould's turkeys with a recurve but my hunt was cancelled due to wildfires in the area we were going to. All was not lost, though, because Missouri's squirrel season opened on Saturday. So I consoled myself by making smoke and stocking the freezer. Our daughter came to visit so I spent most of my time cooking for her but I did manage to break away and thin the herd some. I got one Sunday morning behind the house and got to try out my new squirrel holding contraption. The jury is out on whether it really speeds up the cleaning process or not.

bvtbtAj.jpg

hCxMJIk.jpg

I was not allowed to cook this morning due to having too many leftovers so I got to hunt instead. I killed two in short order and figured that was good enough. There are approximately 1.26 bazillion left just behind the house which gives me plenty to choose from as the season goes on.

LafvoiS.jpg

Darren

I was supposed to be in Mexico this weekend hunting Gould's turkeys with a recurve but my hunt was cancelled due to wildfires in the area we were going to. All was not lost, though, because Missouri's squirrel season opened on Saturday. So I consoled myself by making smoke and stocking the freezer. Our daughter came to visit so I spent most of my time cooking for her but I did manage to break away and thin the herd some. I got one Sunday morning behind the house and got to try out my new squirrel holding contraption. The jury is out on whether it really speeds up the cleaning process or not.

bvtbtAj.jpg

hCxMJIk.jpg

I was not allowed to cook this morning due to having too many leftovers so I got to hunt instead. I killed two in short order and figured that was good enough. There are approximately 1.26 bazillion left just behind the house which gives me plenty to choose from as the season goes on.

LafvoiS.jpg

Darren
While I yet lived in rural Okla., my property was overrun with squirrels. Never been a fan, they're just fuzzy-tail rats to me. Would sit on my doorsteps with my pellet gun and shoot them as they came to steal the food from my dog's dish. Then would throw them across the road for the feral cats (with which the area was also overrun.) So not to worry. The varmints weren't wasted, the cats ate good and stayed out of my trash.

Squirrel season here in Iowa runs from September through February . Used to hunt the river banks and fish
during early part of season , kinda a two for one deal. But after two new Hips the Dr. and Sgt Maj said no
more river banks and absolutely no climbing ladders. What they don't know won't worry them , just say I'm
going to public hunting area. I get one or two and just enjoy the time outside. Sgt Maj won't eat what ever
I bring home , says I'm game enough for her. I enjoy squirrel and rabbit with white gravy for breakfast with
biskets and strong black coffee , coffee should reach out and bite you.
gunny

I was supposed to be in Mexico this weekend hunting Gould's turkeys with a recurve but my hunt was cancelled due to wildfires in the area we were going to. All was not lost, though, because Missouri's squirrel season opened on Saturday. So I consoled myself by making smoke and stocking the freezer.

Good for you!
Our squirrel closed at the end of February, and doesn't reopen until August.
(Unless I trap them in the neighborhood.) I'm seriously thinking of up-powering some rat traps to do just that..., but that's a topic for another thread some day.
LD

That looks like a successful time in the woods. My oldest and I are planning on an Ozark foray for some greys before too long. I'll see if my eyes can still sight down the Cherokee .32 well enough to drop a few.

Back