Cooked deer's head

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Stony Broke

32 Cal.
Reaction score
That hog's head appears to me more like a mount off of someone's wall, not a cooked head. Probably just used as a table centerpiece to dress up things and lend an authentic air to the feast.

Stony Broke

32 Cal.
Reaction score
If that was cooked, it was served only partly done as there doesn't seem to show any evidence of facing high heat. If they ate it partially cooked, they will have to face the consequences...the generally accepted temps for cooking pork is 160 degrees minimum internal temperature....but to each their own..

sawyer04

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I stay away from mammalian brain, spinal cord and lymphatic tissues as food - the potential, albeit small, for the transmission of a prion disease is not something I am willing to chance.
These days and times I would take Black Hand very serious here. The chance may be small, but small may get ya.

azmntman

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Ya this is gross stuff. Reminds me of the day I had lunch at a fancy dancy restaurant, woman asked for a suggestion from the bow tie wearing waiter who promptly said his favorite was the tongue sandwich. She gagged and stated she could never eat anything that had been in someone else's mouth! He, w/o a blink, suggested the boiled egg sandwich as a compromise:D

Eterry

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I always get Lengua taco's when i go to my fav taco stand, when my buddies learn its tongue they turn their noses. They also have the best menudo, or gut soup, as my friend says.

I stopped at a local meat market/processor a few years ago, he was selling several packages of fresh frozen calf brains to a customer. I asked what it tasted like, he tossed me a package. I cooked them a couple different ways...just didn't care for it.

I once boiled a hogs head, sans brains, and made Pennsylvania Scrapple, it was actually wonderful and wanna make it again. My Vato co-worker had dibbs on all the heads of hogs i shot, he would bring me a cpl doz tamales in trade.

I think in modern times it would not be prudent to eat wild brains, spinal cord, etc. Hell, i have enough problems w/o looking for more.

Group Builder