• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Cooked deer's head

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That hog's head appears to me more like a mount off of someone's wall, not a cooked head. Probably just used as a table centerpiece to dress up things and lend an authentic air to the feast.

If that was cooked, it was served only partly done as there doesn't seem to show any evidence of facing high heat. If they ate it partially cooked, they will have to face the consequences...the generally accepted temps for cooking pork is 160 degrees minimum internal temperature....but to each their own..

I stay away from mammalian brain, spinal cord and lymphatic tissues as food - the potential, albeit small, for the transmission of a prion disease is not something I am willing to chance.

These days and times I would take Black Hand very serious here. The chance may be small, but small may get ya.

Ya this is gross stuff. Reminds me of the day I had lunch at a fancy dancy restaurant, woman asked for a suggestion from the bow tie wearing waiter who promptly said his favorite was the tongue sandwich. She gagged and stated she could never eat anything that had been in someone else's mouth! He, w/o a blink, suggested the boiled egg sandwich as a compromise:D

I always get Lengua taco's when i go to my fav taco stand, when my buddies learn its tongue they turn their noses. They also have the best menudo, or gut soup, as my friend says.

I stopped at a local meat market/processor a few years ago, he was selling several packages of fresh frozen calf brains to a customer. I asked what it tasted like, he tossed me a package. I cooked them a couple different ways...just didn't care for it.

I once boiled a hogs head, sans brains, and made Pennsylvania Scrapple, it was actually wonderful and wanna make it again. My Vato co-worker had dibbs on all the heads of hogs i shot, he would bring me a cpl doz tamales in trade.

I think in modern times it would not be prudent to eat wild brains, spinal cord, etc. Hell, i have enough problems w/o looking for more.

Never tried it, only had a head of hog before, wasnt too bad, doubt cooked head O' deer is too bad either.
Gooba Jones

I have done too many euro mounts with deer to even think of having a cooked one looking at me on my table! I watched Andrew Zimmern on TV pluck the eyes out of a cooked goat head one time and eat em, made me head for the Pepto!

If that was cooked, it was served only partly done as there doesn't seem to show any evidence of facing high heat. If they ate it partially cooked, they will have to face the consequences...the generally accepted temps for cooking pork is 160 degrees minimum internal temperature....but to each their own..
Domestic hog has been raised to be free from parasites and is perfectly safe to eat partially cooked or "rare".
Wild hog is a completely different story. Good to 165 or better. It may be a little drier but it will be safe to eat.
I make sausage with wild hog as well - and since the cure out temp is only 151 degrees - I always use some curing salt in it to assure a safe product.

I might be hesitant to cook a head and what to eat from it given chronic wasting disease in deer in many areas. I look at it as just playing it safe. Also, doesn't really sound appetizing.

I would put eating a critters head right up there with eating CHICKEN FEET.

Read recently where a guy died from eating squirrel brains for breakfast.

There are more things that are good to eat to put on the menu.

AMEN...,
Many years ago at the station where I worked, I had a very involved service call, and when I got back the kosher, holiday platter had been served and was mostly gone. Except for two piles of meat, and two of Swiss cheese. The meat was tongue, and as I knew that folks would kill buffalo just for the tongue, I tried a piece of the kosher beef tongue (funny thing to have on a Christmas lunch coldcut platter, but oh well). Then I pinched both piles of Swiss cheese and both piles of sliced, smoked tongue, and took them home when the shift ended. A couple of huge sandwiches and a few glasses of port, and a Merry Christmas was had, indeed.

LD
Kosher meat and Swiss cheese on one sandwich 😳
I did once send a letter as a joke brought on by too much beer, sure I would not have sent it sober.
I had Hebrew National hot dog, my favorite brand, and sent them a letter telling them they made the best over the counter hot dogs. I love them with Swiss cheese and wrapped in bacon
They actually sent me a letter thanking me for the complement, and sent me a coupon for five packages.( no bacon coupons)

Here's a recipe I stumbled upon, bon appétit.

Deer's head, to cook

Knock off the antlers, and having made ready a good lot of wood ashes at the campfire, scrape part back; place the head on the hot ground, then cover it over well with the hot ashes, thick enough to bake. protect from the winds by a wall of sods, to windward if necessary, and add more fuel on top if required. When it is taken out in an hour or so according to the heat, the skin peels off, and you have the most deliciously baked head.
As long as I can find bugs, grass, and tree bark to eat, I’ll pass on the deer head.

Latest posts

Back