• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Completely Unmarked Flintlock Pistol.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One need to know, that during the 18th century, there was no Germany as a Central State. There was the Holy Roman Empire of German Nation, which consisted of a myriad of independent jurisdictions. That is also the reason, for the high proficient gunsmith available almost everywhere. There were so many more courts and thus the demand for luxury was very high and each independent court had its own "gunsmith to the court".
There was also a very active recreational shooting scene established. These people where shooting a lot in "pistol houses", which were privately owned establishments. I think a .40 caliber pistol is clearly a recreational pistol.
At the borders with central states (Austria, France, Denmark) styles mixed. People were comparably mobile, especially during their journeyman time and could pick up a lot of other style features not common for their native region.
Absence of engraving etc. does establish nothing but that the gun was more a basic model. Decoration and silver and gold inlays and engraving was an extra which was quite expensive.
A certain amount of carving was normal on even quite basic pieces. It kept the piece aesthetically pleasing, did add no material costs and was a requirement to be at the level of the competition.Generally, civilian guns were built to the whished of the customer within the boundaries of sound gunsmithing technology and safety.
A lot of this faded away under Napoleon, when the German States were more centralized and a lot of guns were built plain due to change of fashion and no requirement due to diminished competition.
Because of the fragmental state of Germany, there were no proof houses (bigger states had them only for military arms). Civilian firearms were usually proofed by the gunsmith using established procedures within the gunsmith guilds.

Hi Tecum. Thanks for the History. That answers a couple more questions I was pondering. :haha:
While attending the Baltimore Antique Arms Show three years ago I handled half a dozen of these early "horse" pistols. While all looked like they came from the same time period and locations as mentioned above, the feature that I noticed was the lack of engraving on the locks. All well made with a variety of nice hardware that style wise was a real mix. Only one had very light engraving on the lock. The rest were plain. :hmm:
Speaking of locks, note the lock plate on my pistol has three slash marks on the tail. I remember reading some time ago that this was a pre-1740 feature. Of course, my memory isn't what it use to be. :haha: Here's a couple more pics including the plain lock. If this pistol came to the U.S. early enough, it may have seen use all the up through the Revolution? The pistol is still solid, but it has seen a lot of handling and use.
Anyway, thanks to all for the interesting discussion. And thanks Dstavlo for the original Post. Been interesting. Rick. :hatsoff:
[/URL[URL=http://s743.photobucket.com/user/rickystl/media/European%20Pistol/DSC00714Medium.jpg.html] ]

Ok, definetely the No.2 of a pair.
Then, the furniture is more likely pewter and not brass, that is already a more expensive option with brass being standard. The thumb piece inlay is usually an extra,too.
Most likely a pistol built for lower nobility.
No name nowhere?

Hi Tecum. Nope. Not a single mark anywhere, even under the barrel. This seems to be a characteristic to these private made horse pistols. Have no idea what the reason? :idunno: Rick. :hatsoff:

tecum-tha said:
Ok, definetely the No.2 of a pair.
Then, the furniture is more likely pewter and not brass, that is already a more expensive option with brass being standard. The thumb piece inlay is usually an extra,too.
Most likely a pistol built for lower nobility.
No name nowhere?

Pewter? pewter was the 18th century plastic of the day.... used for spoons dishes and tankards in the past 40 years I have yet to see it used for furniture on a firearm... it's too soft and won't hold it's shape, the only pewter I have seen has been nose caps on rifles..... & it was cheaper than brass at that time.....

Yes, the pistol is iron mounted. Unfortunately, all the metal surfaces were cleaned some time ago. :(
But I thought it was still an attractive pistol, and was able to get it for a very good price. It's hard to come by any pre-1750 gun in decent condition - or at a decent price. :haha: Rick. :hatsoff:

Back