• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Completely giddy about this stock!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update photos after another coat of thinned T&T, and a fourth coat vigorously rubbed with a few more dots of oil.
1000008293.jpg

1000008300.jpg

1000008298.jpg

Starting to get some depth!

Attachments

• 1000008300.jpg
    1000008300.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
This drying setup seems to be working well enough. Used too much oil on one coat and it took 48hr to dry to a satisfactory level. Other than that oopsie 24-36 hours is sufficient in my inexperienced judgement. The wood doesn't feel like it has any tack whatsoever and is "slick" like my dining table after this timeframe in the conditions I describe below.

Basement bathroom nobody ever uses. Dehumidifier running nonstop keeping the room under 30% humidity, exhaust dry air blowing straight over a small fan pointed vertically at the stock keeps the air circulating up and around the wood.

I swept and dusted the room well beforehand to cut down on junk getting blown into it.
1000008301.jpg

If you really want to know how the finish is doing, cut some strips of clear, hard packaging material with tin snips and tape them to the wall. Put a smear of oil on one and mark time/date with a Sharpie every time you put on a coat. Check the plastic coupon, not the stock, for dryness.

Keep doing what you're doing, maybe one or two more full-strength coats, put on just like your last one with a few dots of oil and rub it in hot and heavy with clean, bare hands, then buff off with a soft cloth. If your shoulders and hands aren't hurting after applying a coat, you didn't rub it hard enough!

If you really want to know how the finish is doing, cut some strips of clear, hard packaging material with tin snips and tape them to the wall. Put a smear of oil on one and mark time/date with a Sharpie every time you put on a coat. Check the plastic coupon, not the stock, for dryness.

Keep doing what you're doing, maybe one or two more full-strength coats, put on just like your last one with a few dots of oil and rub it in hot and heavy with clean, bare hands, then buff off with a soft cloth. If your shoulders and hands aren't hurting after applying a coat, you didn't rub it hard enough!
That's a good idea, I may grab some scrap plexiglass or acrylic from work to do that as a test. Maybe put one above the stock, another on the sink, and another in the garage to compare dry times in/out of the direct dry air. Might be a cool experiment!

My shoulder is fine but I feel like I'm about ten minutes of rubbing away from a blister on the heel of my palm!

Back