• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Complete rookie looking to start collecting.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkenmal

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hey guys, just joined here, hoping to be a valued member of this community in the future. :)

I just wanted to know how I would start collecting older weapons, like muskets and flintlocks. You know, the fun stuff. :p

I was directed to a few good websites, most notably Track of the Wolf .

What I would like to do, to start collecting and to start shooting guns like these, because they are in my opinion... awesome.

But what I need help in is where do I start? Track of the Wolf is great, but I think it assumes that you are not a first time buyer. It doesn't tell me key information like;

1. What equipment would I need to maintain and shoot a flintlock pistol like this? ?

2. Since I live in Canada.. are these allowed? Could I buy a gun from the U.S. and have it imported to me in Ontario? I know it says it can ship over borders, but reading up on the law i'm really confused.

3. I saw that the pistol was "Unfired, the vent has been indicated, but has not been drilled, simplifying transport across borders. The breech plug is correctly threaded and snugly fitted, and the plug face has been relieved to clear the vent hole that you may drill. We can provide the #DRILL-1/16" drill bit at very low cost. This is an easy one minute job."

Does this mean I can fire it? Is it just a cool mantlepiece I would put over my fireplace? I'm confused. :confused:

4. Is this a good place to start for pistols or weapons? I see it does not support paypal, which will be a hassle... is there any place else that supports paypal? A store of similar quality?

5. Does this pistol (or any pistol on the site) shoot musket balls/bullets? Not just a puff of smoke... I would love to be able to shoot targets and their would be an indicator to how bad a shot I am. :( :)

I would definitely appreciate if someone had an answer to any of these questions or perhaps all of them. Sorry that my first posts is just like a HELP ME type of post, but I just found out about sites like this, and being a history buff this is quite exciting. :)

So thanks anyone who slogged through this hastily formed and constructed question, and ANY answers would be great!

Howdy!

You have opened a can of worms here, my friend! :wink:
There's considerable difference in opinion on whether guns without the touch hole of that sort are safe to shoot once the touch hole is drilled. Generally, drilling the touch hole will void the warranty, it depends on the maker and seller.

Some will tell you, with good reasoning, that they wouldn't consider such a gun safe to shoot. Others will says they have bought guns like this and used them for years with no problem.

I personally, and this is just me, wouldn't shoot a gun that the manufacturer isn't clearly intending to be shot, so for me (others will differ, with good reasoning as well) I wouldn't trust a gun I had to drill the touch hole in.

In the end it's your decision, since the gun will be in your hand when you shoot it.

And welcome to the forum! :hatsoff:

If you are talking about ACTUAL original guns, I would get a copy of MAN AT ARMS. It is a magazine published by the NRA. They have a lot of advertisers with their websites and you can go on line and see what they have for sale. I'm not sure what is your interest but prices vary. A few years ago there was no interest in the tiny 31 caliber Colt pistols- the 1849 stuff and you could often get an original for around $900 while a good replica costs around $250.
A lot of foks just want to get a lot of "stuff" and so they often buy junk. Think about resale value. If you get quality you can always sell it and get your money back.

Thanks a lot for the advice guys.

Has anyone bought a pistol from Track of the Wolf and actually shot it? Can you shoot musket balls out of them?

Thanks again.

Sir - I respectfully suggest that you also

1. Join in on www.canadiangunnutz.com and look at the antique/blackpowder forums there.

2. Look very carefully at the law in Canada with regard to the importation of live-firing firearms,

3. ...as well as what actually constitutes a firearm in Canada.

4. ...and what is actually classed as an antique.

Read THIS - http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/factsheets/antique_e.asp

...and this from the Mounties...

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/powder-poudre-eng.htm

I live some of the year in Ontario, but do not shoot while I'm there, but can tell you that there are a great many experienced BP shooters in the province who would be only too happy to take you under their wing and get you started.

tac

Last edited by a moderator:
No pistols, but have bought an 1777 Charleville replica from TOTW, which has been fired a lot. Been dealing with those folks for a couple decades, & have never been disappointed. Plus if asked, they will provide you with good information. I believe the pistol would be fireable with the vent drilled & lined. Since you are new to the sport, may not be a task you want to perform right off the bat; it can easily be done wrong. Not drilling the vent does make sense in this day & age of weird firarms import laws. A smoothbore musket ball is a round ball, which is what you would want to use. A minie or any other elongated projectile is sorta useless in a smoothbore. And watch out: black powder smoke gets in your veins and you will want more.

Get some Canadian expertise. I follow some of the Canadian laws and you will be in deep doings if you try and bring in black powder handguns without doing the right paperwork first.

Your best bet is the forum above, and British Militaria Forums has a few Canadians too.

Find a local CLUB and go along to their shoots. They will give you ones to try, help you join - and the members may have guns to sell or trade that you will find a good deal and can try before buying.

You can buy and shoot fine originals if you have plenty of money, but the best is to buy good modern replicas that are made for shooting.

Back