• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Adding some versatility with a Uberti 1858 Carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hah! That is also under consideration. Selling it.
Some guys would be perfectly happy with a 4" group at 50yds. Minute of deer and all that.
I'm a paper puncher, not a steel ringer. I like something a little more out of my guns. Especially when I can get a brand new to me ML and put 7 shots using three different loads into a 2-1/2" group.

But I don't want your thread to disappear, so we should move back to this gun

That is the video I watched.
I was like, dang, that's some good shooting when I saw those three shots that fired in his target.
Then I heard him say lets move it back to 15yds and I realized the first target he was shooting at must have been half that distance 🤣

It seems like he's using the wrong sized caps, I had the same issue with the stock nipples on my Walkers with CCI #11 caps, a 2nd hit popped them. I almost always replace the factory nipples on all my revolvers anyway.

I need to get out and shoot mine, the 18" barrel should allow a healthy 50gr charge to burn fully and a round ball should fit snugly on top of that charge , with a smear of Tallow on top to keep it running.

I do most of my shooting with Colt types so I can't recall what an 1858 chamber holds but 40 , if not 50 grains should let it reach out and touch past 100.

Move back to 15 yards 😃 I'm far from an award winning shot but I can shoot at least a Softball sized group at 50 yards with an 8" revolver, I'm not going to shoot an 18" carbine at 7 yards or even 15 yards, that's like powder burn distance....... 25 is pretty much the minimum for me, more like 50. I shoot my stocked 1851 Navy to 50 and it does well .

Stocked revolvers are the ultimate conundrum, they were never well received originally, every attempt at a revolving rifle by Colt or Remington has been a commercial failure, and the Army insisted on every Colt revolver from the Dragoon to the 60 Army be able to accept a stock , and they were almost universally never used.

My stocked 1851 Navy is more accurate at longer ranges, but the stock is awkward to use, harder to get a sight picture and would probably offer no real advantage for a "combat" revolver in the 1860s. You could just use it as a handgun and hit what you need to hit, past 100 the ball runs out of gas anyway

At least the 1858 Carbine handles more like a rifle, with usable sights . It may even reach out to 200 with some kind of usable accuracy

I do most of my shooting with Colt types so I can't recall what an 1858 chamber holds but 40 , if not 50 grains should let it reach out and touch past 100.
My Pietta Remington holds 40grs 3f under a ball with very little space left. I don't know what my carbine holds, I put 30 & 35grs and a lubed wad in with a little bit of space left. Wait till you shoot it, it will surprise you with it's BARK! 40grs will easily shoot to 100, though I haven't done it with the carbine yet. I can tell you that 35grs, wad, and ball are plenty accurate to 200yds out of the Pietta. 👍

My Pietta Remington holds 40grs 3f under a ball with very little space left. I don't know what my carbine holds, I put 30 & 35grs and a lubed wad in with a little bit of space left. Wait till you shoot it, it will surprise you with it's BARK! 40grs will easily shoot to 100, though I haven't done it with the carbine yet. I can tell you that 35grs, wad, and ball are plenty accurate to 200yds out of the Pietta. 👍
40gr of 3f should be plenty,

I can't wait, I'm trying to get out next week and get some rounds through it

The gun in the video seemed to be jumping pretty good with 25 grains (I think that's what he said).
The adjustable elevation on the rear sight will be nice for different loads/distances.

The gun in the video seemed to be jumping pretty good with 25 grains (I think that's what he said).
The adjustable elevation on the rear sight will be nice for different loads/distances.
It may actually work better with light loads. I also wanted to try conicals in it, like the Kaido

My range goes to 300, so of course I'm going to have to try to lob some balls out to the steel swingers

I just bought one from a forum member myself. As you did, I've wanted one for years, but having little kids in the house with annoying habits, like wanting to eat every day and be warm in the winter made me wait. And I can say, it was worth the wait! I shot it yesterday, it's pretty accurate with conicals and balls so far. It's a rowdy little bugger, it surprised me with the BARK! and recoil!
It has one bad habit that needs to be corrected, it peppers my left cheek. I'm ordering a set of Treso nipples, hopefully they'll stop that.
you fire the gun from your rear end? wouldnt that be azz backwards lol :ghostly:

I just bought one from a forum member myself. As you did, I've wanted one for years, but having little kids in the house with annoying habits, like wanting to eat every day and be warm in the winter made me wait. And I can say, it was worth the wait! I shot it yesterday, it's pretty accurate with conicals and balls so far. It's a rowdy little bugger, it surprised me with the BARK! and recoil!
It has one bad habit that needs to be corrected, it peppers my left cheek. I'm ordering a set of Treso nipples, hopefully they'll stop that.
I had one before I sold it to a buddy who liked it. The accurate groups it shot were scary good.

I don't even remember when Uberti started making these , probably longer than I've been alive. I saw them in stuff like Gander Mountain catalogs as a kid in the 90's and thought they were cool then. I always kinda wanted one , so I finally just bought one.

View attachment 201960

My range doesn't want "long guns, rifles or shotguns " in the pistol pits, and I caught heat from the Vice President this summer for shooting an Enfield Musketoon in the pistol pit because I was trying to adhere to the " pistol calibers only / lead ammunition not exceeding 1000fps / no buckshot " rule which I guess changed recently to just "no rifles or shotguns "

So I picked this up, being basically a .44 revolver with a stock......giving me full run of my gun club. If anyone tries to call this a "rifle" I will die on this Hill, it is a stocked revolver or at best a pistol caliber carbine, which is permitted because submachine guns are allowed in the pistol pits......I can shoot at the rifle range, the pistol range , the "multi" range . Nothing can stop me 😃🤠

If Remington brought out the original versions of these in 1861 instead of 1866, they probably would have attracted some interest from the US Army . Given that they can use the exact cartridges as any .44 revolver, it would seem a natural choice to purchase 10s of 1000s of these to arm Cavalrymen and possibly for the newly formed Elite regiments of Light Infantry or Skirmishers/ Sharpshooters.

But maybe my thinking is not the same as crusty Ordnance Generals in 1861 who would have thought these were useless as carbines and no better than an 8" revolver. The US Army didn't even like stocks for Dragoons or 1860 Armies so they probably wouldn't have had interest in these.

Beautiful gun, beautiful picture!

I don't even remember when Uberti started making these , probably longer than I've been alive. I saw them in stuff like Gander Mountain catalogs as a kid in the 90's and thought they were cool then. I always kinda wanted one , so I finally just bought one.

View attachment 201960

My range doesn't want "long guns, rifles or shotguns " in the pistol pits, and I caught heat from the Vice President this summer for shooting an Enfield Musketoon in the pistol pit because I was trying to adhere to the " pistol calibers only / lead ammunition not exceeding 1000fps / no buckshot " rule which I guess changed recently to just "no rifles or shotguns "

So I picked this up, being basically a .44 revolver with a stock......giving me full run of my gun club. If anyone tries to call this a "rifle" I will die on this Hill, it is a stocked revolver or at best a pistol caliber carbine, which is permitted because submachine guns are allowed in the pistol pits......I can shoot at the rifle range, the pistol range , the "multi" range . Nothing can stop me 😃🤠
At our public range that would not be permitted at the pistol range, anything with a stock goes to rifle range.
No exceptions.

Although the 1858 Remington Carbine was not introduced until 1866 (cutoff for the forum being 1865), it is an 1858 Remington with a fixed stock, and so it is the exception to the 1865 cutoff rule, but discussion of cartridges, cartridge conversions, are still not allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back