• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Adding some versatility with a Uberti 1858 Carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I don't even remember when Uberti started making these , probably longer than I've been alive. I saw them in stuff like Gander Mountain catalogs as a kid in the 90's and thought they were cool then. I always kinda wanted one , so I finally just bought one.

20230227_123822.jpg

My range doesn't want "long guns, rifles or shotguns " in the pistol pits, and I caught heat from the Vice President this summer for shooting an Enfield Musketoon in the pistol pit because I was trying to adhere to the " pistol calibers only / lead ammunition not exceeding 1000fps / no buckshot " rule which I guess changed recently to just "no rifles or shotguns "

So I picked this up, being basically a .44 revolver with a stock......giving me full run of my gun club. If anyone tries to call this a "rifle" I will die on this Hill, it is a stocked revolver or at best a pistol caliber carbine, which is permitted because submachine guns are allowed in the pistol pits......I can shoot at the rifle range, the pistol range , the "multi" range . Nothing can stop me 😃🤠

If Remington brought out the original versions of these in 1861 instead of 1866, they probably would have attracted some interest from the US Army . Given that they can use the exact cartridges as any .44 revolver, it would seem a natural choice to purchase 10s of 1000s of these to arm Cavalrymen and possibly for the newly formed Elite regiments of Light Infantry or Skirmishers/ Sharpshooters.

But maybe my thinking is not the same as crusty Ordnance Generals in 1861 who would have thought these were useless as carbines and no better than an 8" revolver. The US Army didn't even like stocks for Dragoons or 1860 Armies so they probably wouldn't have had interest in these.

You go gettum :thumb:

Congrats on the gun. I find myself looking at them from time to time.
They balance really well and shoulder nicely, even one handed . I'm glad Uberti didn't put the 30"+ barrel on that the originals had, but I would love a .36 like most of the originals were

Everyone on YouTube talks about putting conversion cylinders in these.....I bought it 100% because it's the only percussion revolving carbine that is currently available , and I wouldn't even think of putting one of those cylinders in it. Being percussion makes it that much more fun

Uberti makes a carbine version of the Peacemaker that's only a couple 100 more $ than a conversion cylinder if someone wants a cartridge revolving carbine

I feel like a Uberti 8" .44 1858 would be a natural companion to this

I've handled one. But 600 used was too rich for my blood.
Loved everything else about it though.

Now if it had been a Buntline with a shoulder brace, ala Colonel Mortimer... :)

My Uberti 51 Navy with the skeleton stock still seems a little cooler , even if the stock only gives it a little bit more close range accuracy
20220916_211724.jpg

Or the 12" Pietta with the "soft stock" that probably doesn't do much, but it's something different

If Uberti picked up the Colt Revolving Rifle repro concept that Palmetto tried, and made them in .52 so they could be used with .530 balls , that would be a must-have

20221115_110544.jpg

I just bought one from a forum member myself. As you did, I've wanted one for years, but having little kids in the house with annoying habits, like wanting to eat every day and be warm in the winter made me wait. And I can say, it was worth the wait! I shot it yesterday, it's pretty accurate with conicals and balls so far. It's a rowdy little bugger, it surprised me with the BARK! and recoil!
It has one bad habit that needs to be corrected, it peppers my left cheek. I'm ordering a set of Treso nipples, hopefully they'll stop that.

Attachments

• IMG_20230216_133322.jpg
    IMG_20230216_133322.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I just bought one from a forum member myself. As you did, I've wanted one for years, but having little kids in the house with annoying habits, like wanting to eat every day and be warm in the winter made me wait. And I can say, it was worth the wait! I shot it yesterday, it's pretty accurate with conicals and balls so far. It's a rowdy little bugger, it surprised me with the BARK! and recoil!
It has one bad habit that needs to be corrected, it peppers my left cheek. I'm ordering a set of Treso nipples, hopefully they'll stop that.
After I test fire it and it does ok, I'm planning to install either Treso or Track of the Wolf nipples.

I can tell you that Slixshot nipples don't change anything, I tried both factory and Slix. I'm going Tresos for the tiny flash hole. When I get them I will report back if they help.
I use a lot of Tresos on my revolvers , TotW copied the Treso dimensions for their nipples and I use them too

I haven't tried Slixshots on anything yet

I've learned from my other stocked revolver, it's harder to "flick" spent caps out so good nipples are a must.

I don't even remember when Uberti started making these , probably longer than I've been alive. I saw them in stuff like Gander Mountain catalogs as a kid in the 90's and thought they were cool then. I always kinda wanted one , so I finally just bought one.

View attachment 201960

My range doesn't want "long guns, rifles or shotguns " in the pistol pits, and I caught heat from the Vice President this summer for shooting an Enfield Musketoon in the pistol pit because I was trying to adhere to the " pistol calibers only / lead ammunition not exceeding 1000fps / no buckshot " rule which I guess changed recently to just "no rifles or shotguns "

So I picked this up, being basically a .44 revolver with a stock......giving me full run of my gun club. If anyone tries to call this a "rifle" I will die on this Hill, it is a stocked revolver or at best a pistol caliber carbine, which is permitted because submachine guns are allowed in the pistol pits......I can shoot at the rifle range, the pistol range , the "multi" range . Nothing can stop me 😃🤠

If Remington brought out the original versions of these in 1861 instead of 1866, they probably would have attracted some interest from the US Army . Given that they can use the exact cartridges as any .44 revolver, it would seem a natural choice to purchase 10s of 1000s of these to arm Cavalrymen and possibly for the newly formed Elite regiments of Light Infantry or Skirmishers/ Sharpshooters.

But maybe my thinking is not the same as crusty Ordnance Generals in 1861 who would have thought these were useless as carbines and no better than an 8" revolver. The US Army didn't even like stocks for Dragoons or 1860 Armies so they probably wouldn't have had interest in these.
The only disadvantage to the "revolving carbine" is the same as it was with the Colt/Root revolving rifle. The "off hand" tends to get singed unless an artillery hold is used. Also not using an artillery hold during a chain-fire event might cause the loss of a couple of digits! That being said, I have a Remington carbine made by Uberti and marked as "Iver Johnson" that I purchased in 1986 in a little "out of the way" store in Vermont. It is so accurate to 100 yards as to make it almost boring to shoot! Enjoy!

I have one of those little carbines, really like it. Lots of fun and very accurate. Definitely want to keep the support hand back, it throws a lot of fire and a chain fire would be unpleasant (and likely dangerous if you let that hand get forward). I've never gotten peppered from the nipples but might look into the TOTW or Treso ones to see if the smaller flash holes reduce the fire coming out the back a little.

Maybe. Although the bullet would be further away from the lands and that usually doesn't lead to more accuracy.
Someone else told me to load them hotter, over 1000fps. But it seems to be a common problem with these. Something about an over sized chamber and a straight wall cartridge not sealing it.

Hey, I ran into a video last night of someone shooting an 1858 Carbine. He was having ignition problems, but it sure looked fun.
I'll avoid the .45 LC version if I get one, however maybe I can score a used one from someone who couldn't get it to group

Oh yeah the Guns of the West guy, basically he just hit the cylinder with a heat gun and went shooting, the factory oil contaminated his powder charges

I'll avoid the .45 LC version if I get one, however maybe I can score a used one from someone who couldn't get it to group

Oh yeah the Guns of the West guy, basically he just hit the cylinder with a heat gun and went shooting, the factory oil contaminated his powder charges

Hah! That is also under consideration. Selling it.
Some guys would be perfectly happy with a 4" group at 50yds. Minute of deer and all that.
I'm a paper puncher, not a steel ringer. I like something a little more out of my guns. Especially when I can get a brand new to me ML and put 7 shots using three different loads into a 2-1/2" group.

But I don't want your thread to disappear, so we should move back to this gun

That is the video I watched.
I was like, dang, that's some good shooting when I saw those three shots that fired in his target.
Then I heard him say lets move it back to 15yds and I realized the first target he was shooting at must have been half that distance 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back