• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cole??? Help in information on pistol.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Kia Ora from NZ.
I have recently acquired a old Boot pistol.
( forgive me ) if post 1865?.
I would take a guess & say earlier?
In NZ there's some good Antigue muzzleloaders.
But I've never heard of Coles.
Would anyone have any information on my pistol.
Funny story.
I thought it was London on engraving:)
I see now it's Boston.
Kia Ora Tatou ( thanks very much )
Enjoy yourselves out there .

Attachments

• 20231205_121617.jpg
    20231205_121617.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • 20231205_121656.jpg
    20231205_121656.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231205_121715.jpg
    20231205_121715.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231205_121743.jpg
    20231205_121743.jpg
    922.9 KB · Views: 0
Very nice. It looks like a Turn-Off pistol, which is loaded at the breech by unscrewing the barrel; note the tit on the barrel bottom to catch the wrench. (It's more a Pocket Pistol or Muff Pistol than a Boot Pistol).
Some interesting info on a "Cole" of Boston (Boston, ENGLAND):
"The 1841 (Boston) census finds John Cole, a teenager, living on Liquorpond Street (map) in Boston. His occupation is listed as gunmaker’s apprentice."
And;
John Cole and Clara Usher may well have been childhood friends, in any case, they married on Christmas Day 1845. He was 23 and she was 22.
The Lincolnshire Chronicle and General Advertiser recorded their marriage on January 2 1846. (p 5)
At Boston, on Christmas day, (by the Rev F. Firman, curate) Mr John Cole, gunmaker, of Bridge Street, to Clara, youngest daughter of the late Captain Usher, of Liquorpond street.
And;
Cole, John, South Melbourne, was born in Boston, Lincolnshire, England, in 1822, and arrived in Melbourne in 1853, after having been shipwrecked on the Brazilian coast. Mr Cole has for many years carried on the business of lock and gun smith, and in the former capacity has had numerous business transactions with the banking and commercial community, while in the latter he was favourably regarded by sportsmen.

~~ I think he took one of his own pistols with him when he sailed to Australia, which may be the one you have.

~Bob

I think this may be your guy :)
https://maddenfamilyhistory.wordpress.com/2020/11/12/john-cole/

Last edited:
Very nice. It looks like a Turn-Off pistol, which is loaded at the breech by unscrewing the barrel; note the tit on the barrel bottom to catch the wrench. (It's more a Pocket Pistol or Muff Pistol than a Boot Pistol).
"The 1841 (Boston) census finds John Cole, a teenager, living on Liquorpond Street (map) in Boston. His occupation is listed as gunmaker’s apprentice."
And;
John Cole and Clara Usher may well have been childhood friends, in any case, they married on Christmas Day 1845. He was 23 and she was 22.
The Lincolnshire Chronicle and General Advertiser recorded their marriage on January 2 1846. (p 5)
At Boston, on Christmas day, (by the Rev F. Firman, curate) Mr John Cole, gunmaker, of Bridge Street, to Clara, youngest daughter of the late Captain Usher, of Liquorpond street.
And;
Cole, John, South Melbourne, was born in Boston, Lincolnshire, England, in 1822, and arrived in Melbourne in 1853, after having been shipwrecked on the Brazilian coast. Mr Cole has for many years carried on the business of lock and gun smith, and in the former capacity has had numerous business transactions with the banking and commercial community, while in the latter he was favourably regarded by sportsmen.

~~ I think he took one of his own pistols with him when he sailed to Australia, which may be the one you have.

~Bob

Kia Ora Tatou Bob.
WOW... I'm stunned by uoor information. & So quickly.
That's great information. Gosh he made a nice pistol.
Blown away with your help.
Ata Marie
( Have a wonderful day)
Chris

And;
And;

~Bob

Great post, @PathfinderNC ! That's excellent research, and it provides a clear and complete answer to the OP's question. That's the kind of thing I like to see here on this forum.

@Pukatea Bay Boy , you got yourself a nice shooting outfit there. The kit looks to be complete, and in great shape for its age, and it appears it might possibly be the actual pistol Mr. Cole brought with him to Australia. Wow!

Are there any cast balls, or a mould in the kit? I would be interesting in knowing the bore size.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

And;
And;

~Bob

This agrees with the information in the Book (International registry of gunsmiths).
IMG_3211[1].JPG
IMG_3212[1].JPG

Kia Ora from NZ.
I have recently acquired a old Boot pistol.
( forgive me ) if post 1865?.
I would take a guess & say earlier?
In NZ there's some good Antigue muzzleloaders.
But I've never heard of Coles.
Would anyone have any information on my pistol.
Funny story.
I thought it was London on engraving:)
I see now it's Boston.
Kia Ora Tatou ( thanks very much )
Enjoy yourselves out there .

Tatou very much.Thank you everyone for your replies and amazing information.
I really appreciate your help:)
Noctcy Bob.
It's a .485 buulet as Google as my eyes go on caliper??? 50 on mould come with it.
Here's a picture of accessories for you & the mold.
This agrees with the information in the Book (International registry of gunsmiths).
View attachment 274449View attachment 274450

Have a awsome day.
Nga mihi ( kind regards)
Chris

Attachments

• 20231206_092402.jpg
    20231206_092402.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231206_084735.jpg
    20231206_084735.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
And;
And;

~Bob

Kia Ora Tatou Mr Pathfinder.
I must say Thank you VERY much.
I never expected to learn so much so fast about my pistol.
.incredible reasech you did for me.

Really appreciate it. & yes you are 100% correct the ballel dos screw off.
& little place to load in the breech there.
Mmm maybe??? Not a muzzleloader topic:(
Have a wonderful day out there.
Ma te wa
Nga mihi
Chris

Kia Ora Tatou Mr Pathfinder.
I must say Thank you VERY much.
I never expected to learn so much so fast about my pistol.
.incredible reasech you did for me.

Really appreciate it. & yes you are 100% correct the ballel dos screw off.
& little place to load in the breech there.
Mmm maybe??? Not a muzzleloader topic:(
Have a wonderful day out there.
Ma te wa
Nga mihi
Chris
Chris, I am glad that I was able to find that info for you. It was not hard using Google 😉
I think even though this is a muzzleloader forum, your pistol fits right in because it is pre 1865. It looks like a fine gun.

Chris, I am glad that I was able to find that info for you. It was not hard using Google 😉
I think even though this is a muzzleloader forum, your pistol fits right in because it is pre 1865. It looks like a fine gun.
OK:) that's good. I break the rules sometimes unevertantly...
Laungage all the time.
Can't help that ...
Proud to put Te Reo Maori language out in the world 🌎
OK.i better get going on mahi ( work)

Latest posts

Back