• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cold weather patch lube.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtman725

The Last Best place, MT
Reaction score
So with a late season hunt meaning cold to very cold, what is a good patch lube. The bear grease that I was given is so hard, when you try to start a ball and patch you just punch out a donuts. And you have to keep it close to your body to make it work. SO???

When I hunt in really cold weather, I like to use my regular lube which is just a mix of Murphys and Windex. When shooting matches, I just drop the prb on top of the powder, step forward and shoot it....but when hunting where it will be loaded longer, I always use something between the patch and powder. Normally I just use a thicker paper wad, but I have used wasp nest and things like that also.

Agreed! I had some rendered mink oil liquid for years that I used on my boots. Worked fantastic but I ran out and just haven’t purchased more. Got it online from a place in Idaho I think. They make it themselves and it’s only ingredient was rendered oil. Think 🤔 I will do that right now...

For warm weather shooting I use a mixture 80% lard 20%beeswax, for colder weather I use either 100% lard or the synthetic sperm whale oil Dixie sells. (It looks and even smells like the real stuff, I still have a few ounces left from the early sixties!)

I mix olive oil and bees wax, that's my lube year round. When I get into deep winter I put my tin on the stove and add more olive oil. At room temp it should be quite soft. By Spring I add more wax to stiffen it up.

Still haven’t tried the ballistol. I use it for lubricant in my gunshop but have never tried it for patch lube. Must work though. Alot of people on this site love it. Never tried neatsfoot oil either but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Great ideas and stuff to try!!

So with a late season hunt meaning cold to very cold, what is a good patch lube. The bear grease that I was given is so hard, when you try to start a ball and patch you just punch out a donuts. And you have to keep it close to your body to make it work. SO???
Squares of pillow ticking lubed with mink oil for cool weather ( down to zero F), and same squares wetted with windshield wiper fluid, in a baggie, for cooler weather (15 below zero F). No one in living memory can remember seeing a brass monkey in this area.

I use Frontiers Lube, the one with bear grease. Frontiers is very slick. I am able to easily pull the ball at the end of the hunt.

Latest posts

Back