• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Coconut oil as lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bilder

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone here use coconut oil as patch lube?

Seems it would work as it stays fairly solid like bore butter or crisco.

Lubricity seems to be an issue when it comes to accuracy. It is possible for a lube to be too slick. This lubricity effect has been discussed by Dutch Schoultz in his muzzleloading accuracy system. It seems, in my estimation, that when it is too slick, the ball starts to move before the powder has had a chance to get to burning completely and it keeps moving too easily for the breach to build up pressure. The end result is a lower MV due to a lower breach pressure. This seems to be why saliva works so well as a patch lube, it is just not as slick as an oil so the ball is less prone to premature movement and the breach pressure builds more consistently resulting in a more consistent MV and this translates into more accuracy. So, I don't know how slick coconut oil is but if it is not too slick, it should work okay.

I have done an experiment with lubricants of differing lubricities to determine how they effect MV. The lubricant with the greater lubricity resulted in a lower MV indicating a lower breach pressure.

bilder said:
Anyone here use coconut oil as patch lube?
Slippery aka: lube isn't the only thing folks look at when finding a lube that works well.
A big part of it is;
What kind of crud does it leave behind?
or
What/How does it foul the bore for the next shot and series of shots?

If it leaves a hard crud or a lot of fouling when it's burned, or if the fouling left is really hard to clean it's a detriment to shooting.

While I did not have any coconut oil on hand when I did some informal testing a few years back I came to the conclusion that any of the vegetable, grain , or animal oils or fats worked equally well as long as you did not use too much. The problem most people have with lubes is they use too much. Which is why many prefer Dutch Schultz's soluable oil and water mixture, wetting the patches and then letting the water evaporate leaving a small amount of the oil on the patch. :idunno:

It does not stay solid, just to warn you. We had a few "warm days" here and it will turn back into a liquid during the summer. Seems to have a really low melting point. Just a heads up, still may work for what you have planned.

I have it for cooking. Don't use it much really but in the winter when the house is 70 degrees it is solid but in the summer when the house is 80 it is mostly liquid. It should work ok but you will probably have to adjust according to shooting conditions.

flyfisher76544 said:
It does not stay solid, just to warn you. We had a few "warm days" here and it will turn back into a liquid during the summer. Seems to have a really low melting point. Just a heads up, still may work for what you have planned.

Most coconut oil melts at 76 degrees. In my region it will remain fairly solid through most conditions and certainly during the hunting months.

Got a big jug of the stuff in the kitchen and will probably give it a try next time I am out shooting. I get it by the gallon for cheap at a local food service supply store. Makes great popcorn. :grin:

I never used Coconut oil as a patch lube but ever since I read the lady caused her husband to recover from alzheimers by switching to coconut oil I immediately switched as well.
Great for cooking and it heat a lot higher before it begins to smoke.
I think it would be way too slick as a patch lube. When heated it becomes a very fine (not heavy) oil. I learned too slick was not good.

Dutch

Back