• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Clubs in VA, preferably NOVA area

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I have decided life is too short and it's time to start shooting again! Any recommendations on clubs in the northern Virginia area or within a couple hour drive? I'm thinking the edges I would want to drive would be West Point, Charlottesville, and Winchester. The closer to Stafford / Quantico the better but I don't mind traveling if needed.

I'm willing to put together "period correct" kit but I should say that I'm more interested in shooting and socializing than re-enacting although trekking looks interesting.

I'd also be interested in hearing of local ranges (or maybe Izaak Walton Leagues) with some like minded shooters even if they don't have an organized club.

I should say that yes I have looked online (the Bull Run Muzzleloaders and the James River Black Powder Club look promising as does my local Izaak Walton League just to have a place to shoot) but am interested in hearing from those with personal experience at the clubs / ranges.

Thanks in advance!

Fairfax Rod and Gun had a black powder branch years ago. I went out to one of their matches and didn't like it, seemed too regimented and too rule book oriented.

I was a bit further North in Falls Church. In two hours I could be to anyone of several clubs in South central PA. In fact I am just outside of York PA and it's only 100 miles from Falls Church. Stafford is as I recall about 60 miles south of DC. Check the NMLRA sites for Virginia Clubs, but don't overlook those in South Central PA and Maryland also. Delta Peach Bottom is close to the Mason Dixon Line and has matches. The Tomahawks are 20 North of the line. Their weekend rende is coming up in 8 days. They Are about 35 miles north of BelAir Md. A few miles from Brogue, PA. Perhaps 15 miles east of I-83's Loganville Exit.

The James River Black Powder Club is a good bet & has a lot of shoots with both primitive and modern camping & dress. The Shenandoah Longrifles near Middleton are a fun group.

Thanks guys!

zimmerstutzen,
Great suggestion on checking up north, I'll touch bases with them. At the moment my main intent is to try and find a good local range and a "home" club but I plan on traveling to different events within reason once I'm set up.

Coot,
I'll get an email out to the Shenandoah Longrifles tonight, I'll wait until next week to bother James River. They have a shoot going on right now that I would have loved to attend but couldn't get out of work. Same goes for the Tomahawk shoot zimmerstutzen mentioned. :(

I have to submit my leave at the beginning of the year for the entire year so it will probably be next year before I can attend events. That's OK as it gives me time to get set up, right now the closest thing I have to "period" is a Pedersoli Harper's Ferry Pistol. My other BP guns are Civil War era and a T/C Renegade.

Back