• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CLP Mil Spec?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy!

So, I usually use Hoppe's oil for lock internals, but my local store was out.

I was gonna grab a bottle of Rem, because it looked the same as Hoppe's, but the dude helping me told me he uses nothing but CLP Mil Spec when he was in the army. So, I grabbed the can to try it out.

Anybody else use it?

It'll work just fine as a lube/preservative. Make sure you shake it up good before using. Forget what it was that settled out of it in storage but the military grade stuff has an added lubricant to the oil as a further friction modifier.

I can’t stand it. It is at best marginal for its “Clean & Lubricate” role. As to the “Protect” aspect it does ok- I dry brush it on show firearms then wipe them down with a micro fiber towel. ArmorAll for firearms imo is all it’s good for.
I understand the single product for multiple uses from the military logistical standpoint but just like the “Shop Smith” multi tools- it may perform a given task to a degree but it will never work as well as the dedicated tool/product for the job.

The lubricant modifier is PTFE iirc.

Yeah, it does a decent job as a cleaner, lubricant, and as a protectant but dedicated solvents, lubricating oils, and preservative oils do a better job at their intended task.

It will likely work just fine.

I was thinking about this while driving home from dinner- Muzzleloading locks tend to carry high spring and axial loads with higher point loading than modern lock works.
A higher viscosity lubricant than CLP is in order.

Edit: It's early and I missed the other guy saying it's ptfe, same stuff.

I looked up the white stuff that settles out in my old training materials. 30 years ago it was Teflon added to the CLP, a quick web search indicates this is still the case at least with the Break Free brand that made the gov. stuff in my day. It appears they've reduced the amount in the formula these days.

There are a couple of other brands out there that call themselves CLP but aren't the same stuff.

Since a grease of some sort is supposed to be used on the high load spots the clp will still work just fine as a general lube and preservative.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back