• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got into muzzleloader hunting around 15-20 yrs ago did it for a few years and then life happen and now I am now just getting back into it. When I first bought my TC back then the shop told me to pick what I wanted to clean my weapon with natural lube i.e. lard or anything animal or synthetic i.e. hoppies 9 or other gun oil. He suggested I go natural so I can season the barrel. So I did, kind of. My barrel never seasoned because I cleaned it to much plus it just didn't pass the common sense test for me. Spent to many years in the Army to let my weapon be dirty or fouled any longer than needed. I went to the BP shop today and there were few guys discussing how they season all there muzzleloaders. I didn't argue or disagree because I don't know enough to back up any statement I would have made to disagree the point. Now I have read that seasoning the barrel doesn't help and is a myth. Can someone point me in the right direction. What should I use to clean and maintain my weapons? I understand that question in it self could could lead to a lot of personal preference but at this time I am open to any suggestions so I can come up with what works for me. Is there any truth to seasoning a barrel? Right now until I learn more I am cleaning with CLP and I like hoppies.

For seasoning I like bacon fat and pepper. Steel barrels are not open pore iron. But the advertising sold a lot of "bore butter". :idunno: :idunno:

I hear that. Bugs me to death to have a dirty rifle. I use a black powder solvent and water for for cleaning because it gets the job done pretty quick, then a real light coat of Hoppe's, then swab the barrel a few more times after about 3 days. Gets it done. I have a barrel I bought off a guy who had apparently seasoned it and the rifling grooves are full of funk. In the process of cleaning it out

Back