• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My new smoothbore was a slobbered up mess after it's first day at the range!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have never shot a smoothbore with ball before yesterday. My new long gun is a 62 cal flintlock, with a Ken Netting 48" round tapered barrel.
60 gr of Swiss 2F and about 50 rounds for the day. (.600 rb) (not a real humid day) I tried patched, .010 and .013, & bare ball with overshot card. They seemed the same for accuracy, but this was offhand and I am not too steady.
When I went to field clean the megga barrel mess, it took more patches and paper towel than I care to mention. My rifled flintlocks are nowhere near as messy. Granted now, I know bare ball is not going to have a patch wiping the bore, but I was not impressed with my mess. Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated, but please don't tell me I need to continually clean the bore between shots.
Larry

No experience so.. I didn't think you had to be cleaning it between shots smoothbore.

Would Crisco work for lube..

I think cleaning isn’t as needed to maintain accuracy for a Smoothbore as much as for a rifle.
If I am going to shoot a lot of bare ball or scatter shot loads with my .62, I will periodically shove some brown paper down over the powder load (to keep it dry) and then ram some wet paper towels down the barrel to the breech for a quick swab. Thats about all. Seems to work well for me.

Last edited:
I have found that using a dry felt wad or two (.125") as an overpowder wad works well for keeping the fouling scrubbed out. Also makes a decent gas check.
That's what I was thinking I have them...

I have a list of everything threw a chronograph... the felt is OK but if it's just felt wads you want a 3 stack.

I follow VM Starr' advice really closely as to shooting smoothbores. So I spit down the bores after the over powder cards. Which btw are 2 over shot cards. You only have to carry one type is card this way. I've never had it foul bad enough to stop shooting.
Shooting trap is another thing....I can't get away with it. I use dry clothe patches when needed.

My smooth bore load is ~62 grains of 2f or 3f, a wad of jute tow lightly dampened with spit, a .600 round ball and topped off with a wad of jute tow dampened slightly more than the first. Doesn’t make any more mess than rifles using lubed, patched round ball.

My smooth bore load is ~62 grains of 2f or 3f, a wad of jute tow lightly dampened with spit, a .600 round ball and topped off with a wad of jute tow dampened slightly more than the first. Doesn’t make any more mess than rifles using lubed, patched round ball.

How's that look.. Jute wadding..

I find string on a search 😆..

I don't think I'm packing a wad of string down there.

I wondered if wool would be better from the sheep.. loose.. I could aquire a sample of that to try.

Attachments

• 17149421955597702870483850269460.jpg
    17149421955597702870483850269460.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 0
I posted a thread in the shooting accessories section on April 10 how I make jute tow. It’s similar to real tow.

I’ve tried sheep’s wool. It’s ok too but not as easy to obtain.

I don’t mind the mess though. It is black powder.

Good to know... more to try.

I kinda lean away from the patch and think I could use that. raw wool and stuff.

and the fire insulation might even be ok.. .. I've already fired a shot of it with birds shot. Just as a cushion with cards.. it was OK.

I don't know.. what it takes to start a fire with these.. it's maybe part myth.

Last edited:
Back