• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chronogragh Recommendation Needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Historian

20 ga. Flintlock SXS
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what a good chronograph recommendation would be? I am wanting to use one for shotgun load development. Also would you recommend measuring directly at the muzzle or 3 feet distance?

Thanks for the help guys.

I have a Competition Electronics ProChrono DLX that is simple and very useful. I even tried a BB gun and it picked them up fine!

If you have Bluetooth it will "talk" to a smart phone or computer. I like this as when I get home I can upload the shot strings to my desktop and print them out for my reloading records; and it lists the high/low and standard dev. Even calculates energy if you enter the bullet weight (optional). And also save the results off the unit (It stores 10 strings of up to 99 shots each). Note that the DLX can be had for $10 more than the base "digital" model - and the 25 ft cable and adapter to connect the base model to a PC is $40! So if you have Bluetooth the DLX is the lesser cost for up-loadable results. Or just write them down as you shoot or when you get home. ;-)

With the smartphone you can see (and hear) the velocity of each shot seconds after.

Something happened to Shooting Chrony and the Alpha and Beta units are getting bad reviews recently.

I would recommend NOT right at the muzzle as the blast is not good to the unit and the powder ash/embers may get into the sensor ports. Take the sky-screens and posts off and step back 5 feet. There are instructions in the manual. Also a good idea to get the debris shield (its an $15 acrylic cover to protect the display and sensor ports). Won't stop a bullet but it will a wad or pellet. Use golf tees or nails/pegs to hold it without the posts.

Stumpkillers sounds very nice especially for fellows with computer savvy.
I use a Pact professional and like the printer that’s built in. Also the device sets right beside you and only the screens are down range. The instructions will tell you how far to set the screens down range and the computer will calculate back to the muzzle. Does more then just velocity and will print out all sorts of data. Mines lasted over 20 years with out problems.

Most, even the cheap ones, are very good and accurate. 25 years ago I bought an Oehler chronograph. It still works like new. It came with a standard start/stop sky-screen setup but also a third one between them that tagged any "bad" shot reading. I mount them about 10-12 feet in front of the muzzle for modern guns and at least 15 feet from the muzzle of round ball BP guns.

Thanks Gentlemen for the replies. I am just worried about the wadding material throwing off the reading if graph is too far away from the muzzle. 1 OP Wad, 2 Felt Lubed wads at 1/4 inch, one under the shot and one over to seal the bore. I will have to experiment.

I’ve had my Chrony F1 for 25 years and it’s been flawless in that time. The instructions warn that you should place a,cardboard or other material shield in front of the unit when shooting blackpowder firearms. I didn’t always do this and one fine day I smacked the display with a wonder wad from a .54 Renegade. Ouch! Cost me $30.00 plus shipping but they fixed it and I’ve had no trouble since.

The instructions will tell you how far to set the screens down range and the computer will calculate back to the muzzle. Does more then just velocity and will print out all sorts of data. Mines lasted over 20 years with out problems.

I use a simple "rule of thumb" from Maj. George C. Nonte Jr's "Modern Handloading" (Modern in 1972, that is. Still a great resource).

1. Measure distance in feet from muzzle to mid-point between screens of the Chronograph.
2. Multiply measurement from 1. above by 0.64
3. Add result from 2. to average velocity of string.

It is an approximation ignoring BC & SD, but if your string is +/- 15 fps anyhow then it is close enough for ranges of 600 yards and under. I use this to establish the "cheat sheet" for my scope's BDC for the "actual" muzzle velocity and it is well within any ability for me to say "good enough".

I have the basic Pact. Many years old. Gives velocities, extreme spread, average velocity of the string and the average deviation. Not real expensive but good. You can get a printer for it if you want it, I just use a notebook and pen. It's easy to set up but the cardboard in front of the sky screen is a good idea for BP guns.

I place mine at 10 feet from the muzzle and need a steel baffle in front to keep wads and other ejected debris from going through the face of the chrono .

I like the idea of the small web camera to look at the screen as it would make it easy to get the data, but if I was buying a new chrono I would look into the radar style that mounts behind the line of fire/.

Thanks for all the replies. I will be getting a Competition Electronics ProChrono DLX. I appreciate this as well.

I use a simple "rule of thumb" from Maj. George C. Nonte Jr's "Modern Handloading" (Modern in 1972, that is. Still a great resource).

1. Measure distance in feet from muzzle to mid-point between screens of the Chronograph.
2. Multiply measurement from 1. above by 0.64
3. Add result from 2. to average velocity of string.

It is an approximation ignoring BC & SD, but if your string is +/- 15 fps anyhow then it is close enough for ranges of 600 yards and under. I use this to establish the "cheat sheet" for my scope's BDC for the "actual" muzzle velocity and it is well within any ability for me to say "good enough".

Latest posts

Back