• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Choked

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wright561

32 Cal.
Reaction score
How exactly do you permanently choke your barrel to full if you have screw in chokes? Do they have to cut the barrel down a bit i'm assuming?

Also, could someone explain what jug choking is?

sorry for the newbie questions...

Jug choking is described here:[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showpost.php?post/253537/[/url]

I don't think it's possible to convert a screw in choke tubed barrel to be a fixed full choke. The 12 gauge bore diameter is larger than the dimensions necessary for a full choke constriction. So, once your barrel is cut, I don't know how it could be made to be more narrow.
I've found that extended choke tubes are easier to deal with than flush fitting choke tubes if that helps any.
If you're looking for more info., you can try the search function located in the toolbar at the top of every page. :hatsoff:

Last edited by a moderator:
kyhunter said:
Also, could someone explain what jug choking is?

A jug choke is permanently cut into the bore of your gun a few inches below the muzzle by removing metal similar to the image below...

jugchoke.jpg

kyhunter said:
sorry for the newbie questions...

Don't worry about asking a newbie question, we were all new at this once...

kyhunter said:
How exactly do you permanently choke your barrel to full if you have screw in chokes?
Just coat the full choke tube with J.B.Weld and screw it in tight! :haha:

kyhunter,
why do you need to do anything? Just leave the full choke tube in. Do you have trouble with it or do you just want it to no be so modern?
God bless.
volatpluvia

Back