• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cherry Girl in full dress

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you get it for show, shootin', or huntin'?

She'll be my primary hunting gun hereafter. Small game and whitetail. No spoilin this one. I can't justify an ornamental rifle unless it's also practical.

You don't know how I'm prayin and hopin she's accurate. As my Daddy used to say: "Kissin wears out, cookin don't."

The metal:
The metal is rusting heavily tonight from the browning solution (2nd night), and then tomorrow I neutralize the acid with baking soda and then strip all the rust off to reveal the lightly pitted finish. The difference between this and browning is the degree of stripping off of the rust. In browning, I would scratch it off every day by hand with a wire toothbrush and it would take 4-6 days to get the full blown brown finish. For patina though, I don't want the rust on there, just the "effect " of it upon the polished metal. The metal will deepen in color upon cleaning and heating in preparation for the bear oil treatment- inside and out.

Don't know the specifics of his browning solution, but I know a mix of 70% sodium hydroxide and 30% sodium nitrate is one version.

The stock shape causes the muzzle to rise. The cheek-piece rings your chimes.

Note where the cheek-piece is in relation to the bore. Well below. It rides low enough that it can come up under your cheek-bone with heavy recoil. Even though they had relatively large bores (this is a .54), they were never intended for buffalo killing charges of 100 or 120 grains. It will handle them, but you won't enjoy shooting it near as much.

cherry23s.jpg

That's one of the reasons I've been using charges in the mid 80's range with FFg in my .54 Renegade and .50 New Englander for the past two years. Getting used to the trajectory. The New Englander never much liked 90 to 100 gr with a patched round ball, anyway.

Gorgeous! I hope you get her soon.

Now remember don't take the rifle to bed with you and cuddle with it. The Mrs. might take a personal offence at that. Next thing you know there will be no more new guns for you! :haha:

One fine looking gun, Stumpy, with great carving. :thumbsup:
Now, how good are you with it? :blah:

Beautiful gun, Stumpy! :hatsoff: I love it... early Lehigh repros seem to be a rarity. I may have missed it in another post... who built it?

Thanky!

A fellow in Minnesota name of John Donelson.

http://www.donelsoncustommuzzleloaders.com/index.html

I had an idea for a simple wedge taper homespun 5", full tang knife and he forged me a dandy.

The middle one in this pictute - made from the colter of a plow.
HaversackandPollAxe.jpg

We got talking rifles, and I ended up having him make me this one based on a rifle signed by John Rupp. The cherry stock and iron furniture make it a bit different, not that we fall over Lehigh/Northampton rifles all the time, anyway.

There is only one word needed for your Cherry, WOW!!! Ok maybe beautiful also... Nice piece of kit, she looks like she will be a great companion, friend and a straight shooter with gorgeous line to her!!! Congrats to yea!!! Good hunting, and best regards to the two of you... :hatsoff: Loyalist Dawg

Back