• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

checkering ebony

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crockett

Cannon
Reaction score
This is sort of a stupid question but..... I've checkered bone and also maple gun stocks- you can layout the master lines in pencil. On ebony or very dark wood- what I need is a "white" pen. Trouble is- it can't be something that soaks into the wood or is hard to remove.
Any advice appreciated.

A while back I was looking for the very same thing for marking walnut and found a white pencil in an art store. Sharpens like a regular pencil but it is soft - not sure it will "stick" on ebony it did write on walnut not great but OK for what I wanted.

Not much will "soak" into ebony. It is nearly plastic-like. You didn't ask, but....if you are considering a project using ebony, do make sure the wood you get has been dried, at least, a couple years. When ebony is imported to the U.S. it has been fresh cut just before shipment. Worked ebony that is still 'wet' will, not might, WILL crack.

Use either a needle (small awl) and stab your initial line in.. or use a sharp pointy exacto blade.. dragging it backwards.. do not want the knife edge to follow the grain. Then use talcum powder or any other fine white dust to go over your layout lines.. :thumbsup:

Normally I stab in my borders and use the exacto for the first layout lines for the diamond pattern..

Well thanks all, I think I'll do the Exacto knife scribe and then rub across chalk that outlines the line; that's what I want- a very fine white line. The line is going to be cut or deepened anyway so that seems like it will work- I think I'll practice first on some scrap wood.

That is how my father taught me how to do it.. :thumbsup:

Go to an art store (or order on line) and get a Berol Argent #753 pencil. It lays down a silver line. Shows clearly on ebony. I also use it to mark steel plated for torch cutting.

Go to your closest fabric store and ask for a white pencil. They have fabric marking pencils that have a chalk-like substance that easily wipes away from cloth. It will easily mark your ebony and easily wipe away leaving no permanent marks. As an alternative, you can use White Out (if you can still find it) as a lay out fluid. Paint it onto your ebony, use a regular pencil to lay out your lines and then wash away the White Out. You may need to use a toothbrush to get all of the White Out out of your lines if any gets in them but it will scrub out with not much trouble.

I have purchased small turning pieces of ebony that were coated with a substance that looks like varnish. I don't know why it is there except that it may protect the ebony until you begin working on it. You will need to first sand off any coating, if there is one, before starting your lay out lines. You just can't write or mark on that coating with pencil or chalk, it just wipes right off if you can even get it to write on it.

Back